Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

College and loans

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Does an Adult not living at home who wants to go to college and get a financial loan need their parents tax info?   

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lilsirsmomma
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:11 PM
I think its up to age 24, unless they are married or have kids. I could be very wrong tho.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM

The only students requires to provide parental information on the FAFSA are those who are under teh age of 24.  Until the age of 24, in the yes of the Federal government you are a dependent student and required to provide parentaol income/tax information.  If you are under the age of 24 but are married or you have a child whom you provide 51% of teh financial support for then you are considered independent and do not have to provide parental information.

copperked
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM
It depends on their age. I think the age got raised to 26 a while back but you will have to check Fafsa's website to be sure. There are other factors, also, so read through the form instructions.
MinglingMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:20 PM

It depends on the circumstances however, there is a form you can get on the FAFSA website that you fill out to prove you are not a dependent. It does involve providing proof such as letters or other documents. You could even call them and someone will help you out and point you in the right direction.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Not unless your parents are helping you pay for college. 

I am not 100% sure though. You should call the FAFSA helpline and ask. 

Steph1499
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM

no

LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shadowspirit07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Depends on the age. It is helpful to have unless you have a good credit score. The parents (or another qualifying adult) may need to co-sign.

Love is Friendship caught on Fire

Fur babies: Onyx (cat), Tigger (cat), Clara (dog)

wedding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)