Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

mammas of kids with ADHD/ADD

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM
  • 10 Replies

How old was your child when he/she was diagnosed? What was the process- how long did it take to get the "official" diagnosis. Do you feel that your child has been misdiagnosed? Does he/she need to be medicated and is it helping. Were there any other issues (medical or psychological) that could trigger the symptoms?

My 6 year old has been diagnosed with ADHD/ADD about 2 months ago. Although I do feel like he has some trouble here and there as far as his behavior is concerned,  I'm not sure he really has it though. Well the DR said he has a mild case of it. I did a lot of reading and researching and came to a conclusion ...that really....a lot of kids have these "symptoms" that my son exhibits. 

I am not dismissing the cases when children really do have ADHD/ADD....Just not sure how to deal with this.

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyOK
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM

BUMP!

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Technically a doctor should not be diagnosing a child with it. If they suspect ADD/ADHD, they should be referring the child to a psychologist.

I had my son's teachers and those who spend significant portions of time with him fill out the DSM-IV ADHD questionnaire. We brought them to his pediatrician with a 1hr appointment slot. We talked a lot, she talked to him (or tried, he was all over). She felt that referring him to a psychologist was a good idea. He was 5.5 and we were having a lot of issues (especially with school).

He's been medicated lightly and we see his psychologist at least once monthly. We maintain a strict routine and push a lot of physical activities.

Sorry if I missed anything. Feel free to ask more.

saywatuwill
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM

My husband was recently diagnosed with it. It caused me to do a lot of research about it... and not google research but down at the public library research. I got a really good book that was FILLED with information, if you want the book info I can give it to you... it's available for Kindle and possibly nook. 

It talked extensively about what part of the brain is affected, how the medicine works, shares scans of before meds and after meds of people with ADD. Ones case shared talks about natural options of controling the problem.

If he isn't active, get him active. If he is mildly active get him incredibly active. A lot of VERY athletic people have this disorder. Michael Phelps got into swimming because of his ADD. My husband is currently on Adderall which I'm not super happy about but it does help him. I know that there are vitamins and supplements and diets that can help (low carb, high protien).

Some experts believe it is diagnosed to much... some believe it is actually underdiagnosed. I do know there are 6 different types of ADD (the two are similar one just has a hyperactive part) and some medications won't be as affective.

Good luck figuring it all out.  

saywatuwill
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM

This isn't completely accurate. We were seeing a psychologist and he had to refer us to a doctor for treatment and official diagnosis. It has a lot to do with the type of psychologist. I personally wouldn't trust just a doctor's word and would want a psychologist to back up the diagnosis. 

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Technically a doctor should not be diagnosing a child with it. If they suspect ADD/ADHD, they should be referring the child to a psychologist.

I had my son's teachers and those who spend significant portions of time with him fill out the DSM-IV ADHD questionnaire. We brought them to his pediatrician with a 1hr appointment slot. We talked a lot, she talked to him (or tried, he was all over). She felt that referring him to a psychologist was a good idea. He was 5.5 and we were having a lot of issues (especially with school).

He's been medicated lightly and we see his psychologist at least once monthly. We maintain a strict routine and push a lot of physical activities.

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:06 PM

According to the APA a doctor cannot officially diagnose ADD/ADHD.

Quoting saywatuwill:

This isn't completely accurate. We were seeing a psychologist and he had to refer us to a doctor for treatment and official diagnosis. It has a lot to do with the type of psychologist. I personally wouldn't trust just a doctor's word and would want a psychologist to back up the diagnosis. 

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Kellileanne
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM
My oldest was diagnosed in April. She will be 6 very soon. She didn't start meds till a month ago, it was getting in the way of her learning. Eliminating red dye and chocolate helped a ton along with limiting TV and games to only educational.
saywatuwill
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:02 AM

I'd love to see a link to that information. I breifly searched the APA website but thought it might be faster if you had the link on hand. 

I do know that we went to a family doctor, he diagnosed my husband with ADD based off of his own interview and the opinoin of the psychologist we were seeing that referred us to him. I do know a psychologist cannot presribe a medication so their diagnosis doesn't do that much good unless a person goes to a doctor or a psychiatrist and says "hey, my psychologist said I have this, please treat it" at which point the doctor would likely want to talk to the psychologist him/herself or/and assess symptoms himself. 

Quoting sugarcrisp:

According to the APA a doctor cannot officially diagnose ADD/ADHD.

Quoting saywatuwill:

Quoting sugarcrisp:

mudwrap
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:08 AM
She was 8. Diagnosed by a team of doctors. I tried medications but stopped. Its bad for her health. Its amphetamine based (adderall, and then the so called designer type meds forgot the name since she only took one round of meds for the second type and then I stopped giving it to her). It was easier for me when she took the meds but I figured that there are other ways like behavior modifications etc. it might be hard but at least she's happy and healthy. That's what is important for me.
MommyOK
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I took my son to the pediatric psychologist and it was him that thought my son has it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured