Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Her 7th Grade Science Teacher Did WHAT?

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM
  • 93 Replies
2 moms liked this
At parent teacher conferences he brought up his intense dislike of girls in his class that wear make-up, my 13 yo dd being one of them. He calls it "fake-up." He was being hateful about it.

She has just begun to experiment with it and obviously I don't have a problem with using it if she doesn't go overboard, and I do monitor it. I told him that I feel it is a healthy, safe way for her to express herself and I also allow her to color her hair, purple if she chooses. She is nearly a straight A student, all of her teachers absolutely love her, and I told him this, and she has never caused any trouble. He had nothing nice to say about her and I had to elicit positive responses from him.

I'm pissed that he had the nerve to even bring this up, she's getting a 93 in his class. His attitude was brash and I literally bristled when I sat, even before he.spoke. I want to bring this up with the principal because it's affecting my daughter negatively.

What say you, ladies? Am I overreacting or would you feel he crossed a line?

ETA: He has singled her out before for no reason. She volunteered on the weekend to help raise money for charity. He bought lunch for the whole group except for her and announced that he was doing it. Because she "wasn't working as hard" as everyone else. That was his opinion as well. Does that make it right? She was working on the weekend for a charity.
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this

He has the right to his opinion. should he keep it to himself, probably...but he didn't. Not everyone will always like your child, thats just something you'll need to deal with. 

wonderstruck11
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM
I don't remember having any girls in my 7th grade class wearing makeup. That didn't start happening until high school.
HumanBeing
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM
5 moms liked this
Commenting on the girls appearance is completely unprofessional. I would let him know that and the principal.
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe he shouldn't be quite so obvious about it, but you need to let it slide off. Let this be a lesson to your dd that not everyone will always agree with her decisions regarding her body or her appearance.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM
This for sure.

Quoting HumanBeing:

Commenting on the girls appearance is completely unprofessional. I would let him know that and the principal.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Sadly it is life.  She won't like every person she has to deal with in life either.  However, they need to figure out for themselves how to work together.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM
What an ass. However I have learned this as well and it is hard to wrap your mind around as your kids get older their teachers Will give out personal opinions that you may not agree with. Kids just need to learn to roll with the punches she's not a tiny baby if she secure with herself it should not matter. I know as a mom it really hurts your heart I have a daughter who is very smart that is into heavy makeup color hair and wants to get piercings. I do worry about the way people preceve her. We've had many conversations that people will judge you based on what you put on the outside it's not fair but it's life talking to the principal will not change this
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM
My daughter doesn't wear much makeup but she would have gotten in his face about it lol.
Cheribomb
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

that is completely unprofessional.  i would talk to the principal about it.  i wonder if he treats the "fake up" girls differently in class.   i understand that he may not like it but its really none of his fucking business. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM

You're both overreacting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN