Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hep C and food service. UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies

Can someone clear this up for me?

I have knowledge that someone who volunteers serving cotton candy and popcorn during school events has Hepatitis C.  I know this because the person told me, but they think they are "cured". 

I do not know a lot about the disease, but I thought you can't be cured, and you can have flare-ups?  And that you can also pass the disease on to others, esp. if you are serving them food?  I don't believe they monitor the situation as they say they are totally cured. 

I don't want to cause issues without knowing facts. 

UPDATE:  I did leave out some info.  This woman has dry, chapped, cracked hands, but is using gloves.  She also seems to pick holes in her face when nervous?  IT's the bodily fluids i'm concerned with.  Is there a medium risk, low risk, or high risk associated with spreading this disease if any of her fluids DO get on food items?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Hep C is passed through sexual contact and sharing needles.  As long as someone is taking the usual health precautions for food prep, they are not going to pass it this way.  People with Hep C do need to get routine care and labwork because it affects various body systems, and they may require treatment. 

AZHOTMOM
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Hep C is not passed through food. Hep A is, but not C. It is passed through bodily fluids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:52 PM

It doesn't indicate if you need to be monitored or not. . but thanks for the info.  -- I need some specifics though.  THe site you gave me said that antivirals have to be taken even after a transplant because it can come back.  I wonder if that's true for people who have been treated and "cured" as well?

Quoting Anonymous:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hepatitis-c/DS00097

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Hepatitis A is the one through food. You would also notice a distinct yellowing to the palms and whites of their eyes should they have it. Yes this one can be cured. It is mostly spread through improper handwashing after using the bathroom.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I know this. . . and I left something out.  Although it's required to wear gloves, her hands are very chapped and cracked/bleeding.  She also is a nervous picker? I guess and she gouges into her face.  I am concerned that she's spreading the virus even though she's wearing food service gloves. 

Quoting AZHOTMOM:

Hep C is not passed through food. Hep A is, but not C. It is passed through bodily fluids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)