Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My DH was in the hospital for week and it cost 47k

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies

That is what they billed my insurance company.  He was in for pneumonia and needed to stay because he had serious breathing problems.  He was seen by a doctor once a day, and most of the days he received breathing treatments and was on oxygen.   I noticed that my insurance company paid them 20k, which is about what is expected as they never pay the full amount..  It is just unbelievable how much health care costs here.  We will probably have to pay about 1000 of that bill as we have a high daily co pay for hospital visits.  His ER visit was for one day and that was covered in full.  Our premiums are over 1000 a month(for the family) and that is the best plan they have.   I told dh that it was a good thing our plan was decent, otherwise we would be paying out a lot more.  We have health issues in this family , including our dd, and it is scary to think how easily one can go into a lifetime of debt with one illness.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:49 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Ugh that sucks. My son has had many hospital visits and 2 major heart surgeries. I don't even wanna know how much it cost. Luckily insurance paid it all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh I know and it boggles my mind when all these people say "I will never use health insurance so I don't need it."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Ugh that sucks. My son has had many hospital visits and 2 major heart surgeries. I don't even wanna know how much it cost. Luckily insurance paid it all.

I just went on the insurance website to look up all of our claims this past year and I was horrified at the costs.  I am glad your insurance is paying for your son.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Yep.. my ONE day in the hospital and a two hour surgery.. 33k.

Broke both feet.. the er plus hospital bill.. 14k.

I feel you. I'm on the phone right now bitching at the insurance company again actually.
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Yup. My son had RSV as a baby and was inthe hospital for a week. THe ambulance ride alone was $6k. Room charge for the week was close to $20k and then the doctor fees came to about $17k.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh I know and it boggles my mind when all these people say "I will never use health insurance so I don't need it."

yes, that is scary.  My dh is 50 yrs old and this is the first time he ever had pneumonia.  He used to be relatively healthy, but these things happen.   This is why people lose everything when they get sick without insurance.

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM
So glad I live in Canada and most things are covered. If we had to pay for visits my family would have been done in 2010. My dad was in and out of the hospital with cancer for a good month and my mom was hospitalized a few months after my dad passed because she needed an emergency quad bypass..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Yep.. my ONE day in the hospital and a two hour surgery.. 33k.

Broke both feet.. the er plus hospital bill.. 14k.

I feel you. I'm on the phone right now bitching at the insurance company again actually.

I just had to appeal one of his bills and they actually sent a $574 check in the mail. It was the first time they ever did that. I have had to appeal a lot of things over the years, including blood tests they called experimental.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Quoting ColieO:

Yup. My son had RSV as a baby and was inthe hospital for a week. THe ambulance ride alone was $6k. Room charge for the week was close to $20k and then the doctor fees came to about $17k.

it is crazy.  What do people do when they don't have insurance? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN