Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why....just WHY?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

Do people use religion as some kind of protective sheild?!

An acquaintance's husband is on the verge of losing his job due to contract negotiations. She is worried sick (literally throwing up and not eating because she's so stressed) because she's a SAHM with 5 kids. He works about 60 hours/week just to support them. 

Instead of doing something to secure his current job OR even look for a new one. She's instead "leaving it up to God to guide them to security for their family."

WHYYYYYY

I simply don't understand it. Believing in God doesn't give you a blanket of protection from the bad crap in the world. If you believe you should also believe you have free will to control your own life and actually MAKE true decisions. 

I had to block her posts on FB for a while because I simply can't take watching her complain and list her prayers to God as her status posts. It's too bad we share a number of mutual friends, because I still see them ocasionally commenting on her posts. 

I tried to talk to her about getting her hubby to have a backup plan and she told me that God will guide them and I wouldn't understand (because she knows I don't believe). 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM
3 moms liked this

I believe in God (though Im not a Christian). I believe in God's ability to help us. But, I also believe that he won't help us completely unless we put some effort and help ourselves. Especially a man with 5 children. If he is TRULY a religious man, he would know it's his duty to provide for his wife and children and not just sit there and wait for something to fall in his lap.  

CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I believe in God. I believe that God wants us to help ourselves and not leave it completely up to him. 

Supermommy89
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Faith in God is awesome but you have to work in the natural in order for the supernatural to work....God is not going to drop a new job in your lap. Thats like walking in a room full of snakes and expecting not to get bit..the bible also says not to temp God. I was raised in church but im on the fence right now, I just know the world doesn't work that way

MotherOfBee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I agree with this.

Quoting PhantomRose88:

I believe in God (though Im not a Christian). I believe in God's ability to help us. But, I also believe that he won't help us completely unless we put some effort and help ourselves. Especially a man with 5 children. If he is TRULY a religious man, he would know it's his duty to provide for his wife and children and not just sit there and wait for something to fall in his lap.  

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I don't know. . .we took a huge leap of faith about a year. We packed up everything, moved across the country with no job in sight and just trusted God. It did work out. My DH an awesome job the first week we were there.

I mean, I do get what you're saying. I do think we need to be active and all of that. . .but i also think faith CAN factor in.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM

i do agree with this.

Quoting PhantomRose88:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:04 PM

When you moved and got to the location did your DH apply for jobs or just wait for someone to offer him one? 

I honestly don't like to knock someone's faith, she's welcome to have it but we're still on this Earth with a brain and responsibilities.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I don't know. . .we took a huge leap of faith about a year. We packed up everything, moved across the country with no job in sight and just trusted God. It did work out. My DH an awesome job the first week we were there.

I mean, I do get what you're saying. I do think we need to be active and all of that. . .but i also think faith CAN factor in.

CreativeJustice
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I dont use God for anything but to have the strength and courage to live a humble life of love..after all he is the one who gave me life. 

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:05 PM

oh he applied for jobs.

I do get what you're saying. I believe people need to act but i also believe faith played a part in how it allw orked out for us.

Quoting Anonymous:

When you moved and got to the location did your DH apply for jobs or just wait for someone to offer him one? 

I honestly don't like to knock someone's faith, she's welcome to have it but we're still on this Earth with a brain and responsibilities.

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a good analogy. 

Quoting Supermommy89:

Faith in God is awesome but you have to work in the natural in order for the supernatural to work....God is not going to drop a new job in your lap. Thats like walking in a room full of snakes and expecting not to get bit..the bible also says not to temp God. I was raised in church but im on the fence right now, I just know the world doesn't work that way

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)