Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My DD is 20 months old. She has always gone to bed at 7-7:30&up at 7. Now she gets up at 4am. I'm exhausted and I have tried everything. She just won't go back to bed! I keep hee up till 8-9, but it doesn't matter. Actually the days shes up later it seems she gets up more often. She only naps once a day for an hour or so. I've tried the whole explaining to her she needs to stay in bed till the sun comes out, got one of those nights lights that changed color at a certain time&she doesn't seem to understand that. I've tried getting her to lay down in my bed, everything. I'm exhausted. I don't understand why she won't sleep! She has never had an issue sleeping, and this is really wearing me out. If she actually would fall back asleep it wouldn't be so bad, but she won't. She refuses to lay back down no matter what I do. Please help! Have any of your kids gone through this? I really need to know I'm not the only one here. I feel so alone, hubby works a lot and its just me here all day most days. 4am wouldn't seem so bad but I work from 9-11 every night so I am not even in bed till midnight, and 4hrs of sleep is not enough for a pregnant momma lol. Also she is tired, by 9am she wants a nap and then she will be tired again by 2-3, and is just overall cranky as hell. Anyway, any help? I'm at a loss of what to do!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:23 AM
She isn't in a crib, we moved her to a toddler bed (too early I think) and I would just set her crib back up but I know she's going to flip out if we try that now that she is used to being able to get out of bed. At first she did fine, stayed in bed and we didn't have any issues, now she is doing this. And she would.play in her crib, some mornings I was sure shed been up for awhile but never made a peep till 7 or even later sometimes. We have the same routine we've always had, bedtime starts at 7-7:30 and we do bath story and bed. But I've tried keeping her up, last night I didn't lay her down till 8:45 just to see if it would help, and she was up twice last night and then again at 4am. I've gotten so tired I'm falling asleep sitting on the couch during the day (not completely asleep but dozing off) and I hate feeling like this. I know she's tired too, since this started she went from happy all the time to cranky and over tired. I just don't know what else to try :/

Quoting SageAdvice:

First if you have a set schedulestick with it if possible. Also just because she wakes up at 4 am doesn't mean you have to get her up - babies are able to comfort themselves and play in their crib till it's time to rise for the day ( of course make sure she's dry and not hungry but once that's done return her to bed and let her entertain herself till time to get up ) They first few days she might cry and whine, but in time she will learn to play quietly or go back to sleep till it's time to get up.

If all else fails make her regular bedtime an hour or 2 later than normal -

but I'm all for allowing them to learn to entertain themselves or babble themselves back to sleep :o)

Gasp - shocking to many I know, but I raised happy children who feel loved and have always felt safe and content, better yet they don't expect others to entertain them every waking minute - they learned to do so themselves. . :o)

I also did the same for bed time, bath, reading , snuggles then a set bed time, they played quietly in their beds and babbled till they fell asleep on their own.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:25 AM
I've tried :( I've done later bedtime, no naps, everything. She isn't in a crib anymore and I'm so tempted to go back to the crib at this point. But I don't think she will switch back well, and I don't want to go through a huge battle to get her back in the crib. Or have her try to get out and hurt herself :(

Quoting wife-4-life:

This.

I have gone through this with my older two, ages 2 & 3 now. In fact, dd1 is doing this right now. When dd1 was younger, she stayed in bed and played till it was time to get up. Dd2 had to "learn" to do this because she'd always wake up crying. She got used to playing when she wakes up now.

Quoting SageAdvice:

First if you have a set schedulestick with it if possible. Also just because she wakes up at 4 am doesn't mean you have to get her up - babies are able to comfort themselves and play in their crib till it's time to rise for the day ( of course make sure she's dry and not hungry but once that's done return her to bed and let her entertain herself till time to get up ) They first few days she might cry and whine, but in time she will learn to play quietly or go back to sleep till it's time to get up.

but I'm all for allowing them to learn to entertain themselves or babble themselves back to sleep :o)

Gasp - shocking to many I know, but I raised happy children who feel loved and have always felt safe and content, better yet they don't expect others to entertain them every waking minute - they learned to do so themselves. . :o)

I also did the same for bed time, bath, reading , snuggles then a set bed time, they played quietly in their beds and babbled till they fell asleep on their own.

wife-4-life
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:32 AM
Maybe let her get up and play in her room (if it's hold proofed and safe to). That's what we are doing with my dd1 now. I put an alarm clock in her room and set it for 6am. I tell her she has to stay in her room until it goes off. She usually gets up around 5am to go potty and goes back to her room to play.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've tried :( I've done later bedtime, no naps, everything. She isn't in a crib anymore and I'm so tempted to go back to the crib at this point. But I don't think she will switch back well, and I don't want to go through a huge battle to get her back in the crib. Or have her try to get out and hurt herself :(

Quoting wife-4-life:

This.

I have gone through this with my older two, ages 2 & 3 now. In fact, dd1 is doing this right now. When dd1 was younger, she stayed in bed and played till it was time to get up. Dd2 had to "learn" to do this because she'd always wake up crying. She got used to playing when she wakes up now.

Quoting SageAdvice:

SageAdvice
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Who is in charge and boss? The adults or the child?

If she will not stay in her bed as she should, put the crib back up till she is old enough to understand the rules of the house and bedtime. She might flip out but she will do so in her bed where she belongs and within days she will be back on schedule.

There is nothing wrong with 2 yo, even an early months 4 yo being in a crib. The bed area is the same as the toddler bed/crib mattress. If anything the children tend to fill more secure in a crib then an open toddler bed - that could be why she's waking up and wandering away from her bed - she doesn't feel as safe and secure as before. 

Put her back in her crib. :o)

Good Luck Mama.

Quoting Anonymous:

She isn't in a crib, we moved her to a toddler bed (too early I think) and I would just set her crib back up but I know she's going to flip out if we try that now that she is used to being able to get out of bed. At first she did fine, stayed in bed and we didn't have any issues, now she is doing this. And she would.play in her crib, some mornings I was sure shed been up for awhile but never made a peep till 7 or even later sometimes. We have the same routine we've always had, bedtime starts at 7-7:30 and we do bath story and bed. But I've tried keeping her up, last night I didn't lay her down till 8:45 just to see if it would help, and she was up twice last night and then again at 4am. I've gotten so tired I'm falling asleep sitting on the couch during the day (not completely asleep but dozing off) and I hate feeling like this. I know she's tired too, since this started she went from happy all the time to cranky and over tired. I just don't know what else to try :/

Quoting SageAdvice:

wife-4-life
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe tell her if she keeps doing this, the getting up and out of bed that early, she'll have to go back to sleeping in a crib.

My dd2 is 27month old is still in a crib because she is too immature not to be. That kid would be up and out all the time! My dd1 was in a toddler bed at 24months and did perfect. Never had a problem with her getting up or anything. Although we went thru a phase from 28-30months of her wanting to get p and out at 5am and I had put a baby gate up to keep her in. I'd give her a sippy cup of milk and tell her to play in her room. It worked well. She'd stay in there playing till 6 or 7. Then she eventually started drinking her milk then going back to sleep until 6 or 7.

Goodness, I remember when my kids slept till 8 or 9am... Those were the good 'ol days. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SageAdvice:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I do tell her but she doesn't seem to really understand yet, I think putting her back in the crib is my only option at this point. I hate to do it, she seems so happy having a big girl bed, but she isn't staying in bed and I don't think she was ready for a toddler bed at all. I already told DH that if I even mention a toddler bed before 3 with our next child he has every right to slap some sense into me lol.!

Quoting wife-4-life:

Maybe tell her if she keeps doing this, the getting up and out of bed that early, she'll have to go back to sleeping in a crib.

My dd2 is 27month old is still in a crib because she is too immature not to be. That kid would be up and out all the time! My dd1 was in a toddler bed at 24months and did perfect. Never had a problem with her getting up or anything. Although we went thru a phase from 28-30months of her wanting to get p and out at 5am and I had put a baby gate up to keep her in. I'd give her a sippy cup of milk and tell her to play in her room. It worked well. She'd stay in there playing till 6 or 7. Then she eventually started drinking her milk then going back to sleep until 6 or 7.

Goodness, I remember when my kids slept till 8 or 9am... Those were the good 'ol days. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SageAdvice:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Obviously I'm in charge. I am hesitant to put her back in a crib and have her get out and get hurt. Or scream bloody murder every time I try to lay her down. I don't want her in a crib that she can climb out of, and fall and get hurt. But I'm going to give it a shot and hope fore the best.

Quoting SageAdvice:

Who is in charge and boss? The adults or the child?

If she will not stay in her bed as she should, put the crib back up till she is old enough to understand the rules of the house and bedtime. She might flip out but she will do so in her bed where she belongs and within days she will be back on schedule.

There is nothing wrong with 2 yo, even an early months 4 yo being in a crib. The bed area is the same as the toddler bed/crib mattress. If anything the children tend to fill more secure in a crib then an open toddler bed - that could be why she's waking up and wandering away from her bed - she doesn't feel as safe and secure as before. 

Put her back in her crib. :o)

Good Luck Mama.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SageAdvice:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:04 AM
Her room is child proofed but we can't do a gate or anything (condo, the door frames are seriously weird and we can't attach anything to them). And we tried the night light clock thing that gets sunny at like 6am and bright so she knows she can come out, but it didn't work. She just would come right out anyway. I think we are going to try switching back to the crib, because this is craziness lol.

Quoting wife-4-life:

Maybe let her get up and play in her room (if it's hold proofed and safe to). That's what we are doing with my dd1 now. I put an alarm clock in her room and set it for 6am. I tell her she has to stay in her room until it goes off. She usually gets up around 5am to go potty and goes back to her room to play.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting wife-4-life:

This.

Quoting SageAdvice:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:04 AM

You only work 2 hours?   SOmetimes kids sleep patterns change, just keep with not allowing her up. Keep it dark and quiet. DO not talk. Eventually she will get it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, I can't work any other time cause of my husbands schedule, we live waaay out in the sticks (closest daycare is 1.5hrs away) so I work at a small store not too far just basically closing and locking up. I clean up&1lock up and come home. Only like 100$ a week but it helps. I work every night.

Quoting Anonymous:

You only work 2 hours?   SOmetimes kids sleep patterns change, just keep with not allowing her up. Keep it dark and quiet. DO not talk. Eventually she will get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)