Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why does dd even need a mentor?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
So dd is 6 and meets with a high school aged mentor every so often I guess. But every time she's supposed to have music class, she has to go with this mentor. Dd says " she just always wants to go to the library and play checkers and talk about some princesses" firstly...what's that got to do with mentoring? 2nd..dd likes music class. She even got 2 awards for singing solo in front of the class! Cute ! I wrote her teach an Email asking if they could do the "mentoring" another time, so she's not missing her day classes..
Is this whole thing weird? Or am I just "one of those" parents..?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Yeah mentoring is for after school
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Hmm I wonder if the mentoring is part of a high school class.  I agree that those activities really arent helpful to your dd unless she wants an older sister type thing.    Our school the older grades buddy up with the lower grades but no middle school or high school buddies.

MaiVal
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:18 AM

I always thought mentoring was for something they had trouble with. I could do those things with my kids anytime.

Schauseil
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:18 AM
Hmm, idk. I can understand where you are coming from. But as a person that was bullied starting in kindergarten, I wish I would have had a mentor.
susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:24 AM

I wouldn't feel really comfortable with allowing such a young kid to go of anywhere, with a much older "mentor," with no supervision. I have heard of middle school age students helping in lower grade classrooms, but they don't take the children off by themselves. Also, music education is important, and especially for your child, who enjoys it. The whole thing IS weird, and IMO you should let your child attend her music classes. Why does a 6 year old need a "mentor?"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 4:24 AM

You said every so often.  So this only happens like once a month?  Is missing a music class that you have no idea if they are working on their tee tee tahs or watching a musical going to ruing her Philharmonic carrer?  Chill out!

mushki
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 5:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah that's weird. I'd not really want some random teen giving my daughter advice on anything. I'd want her back in class and send that "mentor" back where she came from.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:53 AM
This is just what I was thinking

Quoting mushki:

Yeah that's weird. I'd not really want some random teen giving my daughter advice on anything. I'd want her back in class and send that "mentor" back where she came from.

3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:55 AM

She's not supposed to be missing out on school in order to get mentored.  Are all of the kids mentored or do they think she's at-risk or something? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM
That's how I would feel. Of course, I'm homeschooling because I feel that way about teachers.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is just what I was thinking

Quoting mushki:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN