Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think safety has gotten out of hand...

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 501 Replies
11 moms liked this

I know safety is a huge concern, and I agree on being safe on the big stuff (car seats, chokable objects, etc), but it seems that some people don't have a concept of acceptable risk.

I came across this early...in fact, while we were still at the hospital.  My newborn was on a nurse-a-thon, I was exhausted and my breasts were in pain.  After checking diapers and holding him in my arms and trying to comfort him I turned to my husband and said, "I think he's hungry again but my breasts hurt so much...I just can't..." and I started crying.  

My husband took our baby from my arms and layed him on the fold out "husband bed," which was all of four inches off the floor.  Then he walked over to me and gave me a hug. 

At this exact moment a nurse walked in, and in a tone that would have been appropriate if were were dangling the baby out the window exclaimed "WHAT is the Baby doing THERE!  If you need to put the baby down put him in his warmer!"

Now, this bed was only FOUR INCHES OFF THE FLOOR, plus baby was swaddled so it ws very unlikely that he would have rolled.  BLEW MY MIND.  I wanted to shake that nurse by the shoulders and tell her to get a freaking grip and leave us alone.  

Since then I've come across equally paranoid safety responses to everything from letting my kids jump on the bed, to letting my toddler drink out of a water bottle in stead of a sippy cup.  

So, I'm inviting you to share...what was the most over the top uninvited "safety" warning you've ever gotten.

____

I was featured!  How cool!  :)  Thanks to everyone who responded if I don't get a chance to reply to you separately.  

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM
8 moms liked this

that I was putting my child in danger by taking him outside without a winter coat (because children shouldn't wear winter coats in their carseats)

MommaGreenhalge
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been griped out for putting my babies to sleep on their backs, for having them in bed with us (we kept all three in bed with us for a few months), for not putting them in shoes in the middle of summer. 

Scribbleprints
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I LIVED in bare feet when I was a kid.  Of course, I lived on a boat, but still.  

My husband has issues with bare feet.  I understand, there are fireants here...but I try to keep them controlled so my kids can at least walk barefoot in our lawn and driveway.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

I've been griped out for putting my babies to sleep on their backs, for having them in bed with us (we kept all three in bed with us for a few months), for not putting them in shoes in the middle of summer. 

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM
8 moms liked this
I'm overly cautious with newborns so o don't blame her...especially bc the hospital could be sued had your baby cracked his tiny head. I'm very careful with safety. Acceptable risk to me is not leaving babies places they could get injured but more of letting them play and explore as they age without crazy constrainta
KennyPooPoo22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM
12 moms liked this
I was patting my DD to hard while I was burping her......been through 3 other newborns, I don't need your burping advice MIL.
Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM
4 moms liked this
I believe there are a lot of benefits to allowing children to take risks.

This explains it better than I could: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRn1a82tdHM
ymom3
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM
3 moms liked this
I let ds ride dirtbikes and four wheelers. A lot of people find that very dangerous.
Blackburn3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM
17 moms liked this
To rear face your child till there 4 or 5, oh and to keep your child in a booster till the age of 12. I just heard this one today from a friend a lawmaker in MI wants this to become law . Really people u can only keep your child only so safe. Accidents do happen we can take precautions but sorry these are over the top ridiculous . IMO
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Quoting Blackburn3:

To rear face your child till there 4 or 5, oh and to keep your child in a booster till the age of 12. I just heard this one today from a friend a lawmaker in MI wants this to become law . Really people u can only keep your child only so safe. Accidents do happen we can take precautions but sorry these are over the top ridiculous . IMO

I live in michigan and have nothing like that

off to google

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

not true

Some people evidently take advantage of the mandatory fine waiver to avoid responsibility for endangering children, and continue to transport those children without a car seat after appearing in court.  Reportedly, law enforcement officers have ticketed some drivers for this violation more than once.  Under the current law, the entire penalty must be waived if the violator presents evidence that he or she has acquired a car seat, even if he or she is a repeat offender or did not acquire the seating system in good faith.   Instead of

prompting the use of proper safety measures, this loophole has encouraged some people to continue engaging in bad behavior.

Furthermore, the statute does not contain a similar penalty waiver requirement with regard to a violation of the State's booster seat requirement, which applies to passengers who are between the ages of four and eight and less than four feet, nine inches tall.  Eliminating the mandatory waiver for a car seat violation would create uniformity, enable judges to impose penalties when appropriate, and emphasize the serious nature of failing to secure a young child in a proper restraint system.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)