Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How honest are you when it comes to answering your kids' tough questions?

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM
  • 146 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: How honest are you when it comes to answering your kids' tough questions?

Options:

100% honest at all times

somewhat honest - it depends on the question

there are some questions I refuse to answer

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 475

View Results

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cateringtomel
by Anna_Elijah on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Double?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM
28 moms liked this

I chose #2 because I didn't know if I fit into #1. I honestly answer them in an age appropriate manner, which sometimes means leaving out some details until they're older. 

Buggy979
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes 100% honest. . No need to lie a or beat around the Bush. If you do you just have to explain later. Better to just be honest
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM
6 moms liked this

I do my very best to answer all of their questions honestly, but there are some questions I just cannot answer right now- they are not old enough or mature enough to deal with the answers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I try to answer all questions honestly.  Sometimes though, I may leave out some details.  It really just depends on the question.

bry36
by Gold Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM
7 moms liked this

I have always been 100% honest but you can be honest and age appropriate as well

Freela
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I chose the second, because although I'm honest, sometimes the honest answer I am giving is something that is age-appropriate (and thus doesn't feel completely honest to me because my understanding is different), or is something like, "This is a grownup issue that I don't expect you to understand yet, but I need you to understand x, y, z."  Some questions kids may ask are ones they may not understand the answers to yet (for instance, the relationship with the ILs is messy, and I don't think the kids are old enough to understand why that is because it involves years of adult relationship issues that they are not mature enough to understand.)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I am very honest. My oldest is 8 now. She learned about sex and how babies are made when she was 6 because of her non stop questioning. Every time she would think up another question, I would give her an honest answer. There were only a few time that I told her I would explain something when she was a bit older. 

My 6 year old on the other hand, doesn't have any interest in where babies come from. I will answer her questions when she is old enough to ask them. 

samurai_chica
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I am freakishly honest with my daughter. And i think she is a better person because of it.

Unbeknownst
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm as honest as I can be without hurting her. For example, when she asks, "Why don't I see Daddy that much?" I do lie to spare her feelings. But with questions about sex, or any other "uncomfortable" topics, I am honest but age-appropriate. Nothing is off limits, just tailored to her comprehension level.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN