Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think it consists of to care for an adult child with extensive special needs?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 60 Replies

What do you think my daily routine is?

Just wondered-

Adult child in a wheelchair that needs 24/7 care and care in all hygiene area- and not verbal

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:19 PM
That sucks.
No idea.
onaflowers
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:22 PM
I have no idea. Can he/she do anything g independently?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM

use utensils and cup with assistance/supervision-so don't eat food to fast, take off shirt, and crawl and help transfer-but you have to be right there, 

Quoting onaflowers:

I have no idea. Can he/she do anything g independently?

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I don't want to know. My youngest spent a year in Afghanistan and the thought of this gave me nightmares, and the idea that he wouldn't come home.

Cooperfamily
by Ashley on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I have no idea. But I have a special needs child that needs 24/7 care. He is verbal though and not in a wheelchair so I don't have a clue what you are going through. I'm sorry, hugs momma...
alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Every SN child is different and requires a different routine. My daughter is 4 and had seizures and heterotopia. She can't walk, feed herself, sit up by herself, crawl, talk, etc. she can smile and laugh and push buttons on her toys. If I hold on to her she can sit up decently. I know the older she gets the more difficult the routine will become.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:30 PM

hugs mama

Quoting wooly:

I don't want to know. My youngest spent a year in Afghanistan and the thought of this gave me nightmares, and the idea that he wouldn't come home.

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I know it would be more than I could handle. I can barely handle two fully functioning kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

hugs mama

Quoting alyssaravensmom:

Every SN child is different and requires a different routine. My daughter is 4 and had seizures and heterotopia. She can't walk, feed herself, sit up by herself, crawl, talk, etc. she can smile and laugh and push buttons on her toys. If I hold on to her she can sit up decently. I know the older she gets the more difficult the routine will become.

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Probably a very busy day. Feeding, dressing, brushing teeth, washing their face. .. do they have a cath and/or colostomy? Some kind of physical therapy *at least ROM* Transfering in and out of bed, chairs etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)