Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She "can't" give my baby whole milk **update??!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 338 Replies
3 moms liked this
So after staying home with my new baby for this past year, I need to return to work. We had enough in savings to allow me to. I loved every second. Anyways, my baby will be one on December 15th and I want to get him started on whole milk. Today when I went to meet with our new daycare lady, we discussed schedules, feeding, ect. I told her he will be starting whole milk when he turns one. She said per state regulations, he needs to be drinking skim or 1% because she participates in the food program being state certified. I have never heard of this. I immediately called my PEDs office and was told he is not to have skim as babies need the full fat milk until they're two. Now I feel completely uncomfortable bringing him to this daycare because I've never been told by anyone you should give a baby skim milk. Anyone EVER heard if that?

**Update: I found the page in the WECA (Wisconsin food program she participates in for her daycare)handbook. I posted a pic of it on one of these pages. They are to have WHOLE milk in our state. Long story short, she should know what she is talking about if it is her profession. I will not be going with her for a care provider.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Yogamom08
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Does the daycare provide the milk or will you?
Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM
31 moms liked this
Never!! Find a different caregiver, this one is obviously not familiar with caring for this age.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Maybe the daycare provides only skim and 1%?  Can you send him with whole milk or is that out of the question?  She sounds like she's full of crap. 

EDIT  My son had to take Similac alimentum as a baby.  The daycare provided formula with their fees, but I had to provide the formula he had to be on.

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM
No, I've never heard of that.
AZHOTMOM
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I was told to give my dd 2%, but that is because she was a baby cow and drank alot of milk so her dr. suggested it. But I have never heard of giving skim to babies. Weird.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM
She says I cannot buy the whole milk. She needs to. And she needs to have a doctors nots saying he needs whole.

Quoting Yogamom08:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:32 PM
3 moms liked this
Find a different provider. Babies should have whole milk not skim or 1%
Yogamom08
by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
That is absurd! I would find a new daycare.

Quoting Anonymous:

She says I cannot buy the whole milk. She needs to. And she needs to have a doctors nots saying he needs whole.

Quoting Yogamom08:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
No I wouldn't give a toddler anything other than whole milk and not sure why the sate food program would say skim for a toddler.
ToniTennille
by Silver Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't be comfortable either. I don't see why it would be a probably for her to give your son whole milk if you provide it...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)