Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

She "can't" give my baby whole milk **update??!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So after staying home with my new baby for this past year, I need to return to work. We had enough in savings to allow me to. I loved every second. Anyways, my baby will be one on December 15th and I want to get him started on whole milk. Today when I went to meet with our new daycare lady, we discussed schedules, feeding, ect. I told her he will be starting whole milk when he turns one. She said per state regulations, he needs to be drinking skim or 1% because she participates in the food program being state certified. I have never heard of this. I immediately called my PEDs office and was told he is not to have skim as babies need the full fat milk until they're two. Now I feel completely uncomfortable bringing him to this daycare because I've never been told by anyone you should give a baby skim milk. Anyone EVER heard if that?

**Update: I found the page in the WECA (Wisconsin food program she participates in for her daycare)handbook. I posted a pic of it on one of these pages. They are to have WHOLE milk in our state. Long story short, she should know what she is talking about if it is her profession. I will not be going with her for a care provider.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Replies (331-338):
stampinmama88
by New Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I am glad you checked into that because babies do need the full fat milk. I actually had to have a doctor's note specifying that my daughter could not have whole milk because of medical issues. I hope you find a daycare provider that will work for you. 

whoopsie16
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM

You should show that to her, and as you said...find another care provider. That's just sad.

strawberryLVR
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

MY ped said they don't need whole milk, and are just fine with 2%. Skim is actually really unhealthy. The process they use to take out the fat is kinda scary health wise. If you want him on D buy it and take it with everyday. just show her the rules she may have misunderstood.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:01 PM

OP if she is on WECA food program under two can have whole milk.  I think your provider just doesn't want to buy two different milks

Jennahalt
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:16 AM
It's funny because the state food regulations say she is supposed to give them whole milk. Too lazy to read or buy two types of milk it sounds like? I've had enough friends who were licensed care providers.
coliemamiof2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:53 AM
You have to do what is best for your baby first, & yourself second :) if you don't feel comfortable with the daycare, don't go...but maybe you should let her know her error so she doesn't continue to make it with other children & parents. GL hon! :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 53 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:55 AM

she is wrong! whole milk is supposed to be given until the age of two.

coliemamiof2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM
You are right, 2% is a good choice & still has a lot of fat without being overly fatty (like whole milk). & I would never drink or give my kids skim milk...some of that necessary fat (that is in 1%, 2% & whole) is taken out & now you're left with pretty much sugar-water. Also, the vitamin D they put into it, needs some fat to actually absorb probably...so drinking skim milk with vitamin D doesn't make too much sense. My family drinks 1% personally.

Quoting strawberryLVR:

MY ped said they don't need whole milk, and are just fine with 2%. Skim is actually really unhealthy. The process they use to take out the fat is kinda scary health wise. If you want him on D buy it and take it with everyday. just show her the rules she may have misunderstood.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)