Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am tired of seeing these posts where 20 somethings are getting disability

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 223 Replies
2 moms liked this

Have we turned into a society of wimps? Why are so many young people being approved for SSI? I don't understand it when people with cancer, that have actually worked for many years are denied. What is going on here? I thought it was hard to get and they are not allowing people to use the aches/pain/anxiety excuse anymore? I thought cases where pain was involved were very hard to prove?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM
3 moms liked this

*wimps

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I am 27 I COULD qualify because of my ADHD with out any issues but I don't, because i don't understand it either 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM
My SO has a 2month stay in hospitals with tests that were run. Proving he is disablied. And still can't get accepted.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Well my dh got disability at 25 I think? He's trying to get off it now and work again. He was diagnosed with chronic pain at 22.
He gets looks when he parks in the handicap spot. So what. He got injured. He's far from a wimp.

Eta: chronic pain is real and finally being recognized. It's not aches and pains. There's a difference. It's just some issues aren't as easily seen.
IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Do you have a specific example of a 20 year old being on disability for a backache or what?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM
5 moms liked this

I blame the school system. most of those getting ssi and not for a physical disability are getting it due to a mental disability. the school set that shit up. put them in a special class and they don't learn anything. they have a mental disorder, were never forced to learn anything and as they become adults they apply for ssi for their mental disorder.

My mom and I were talking about this today. My ds is in a special class for his mental disability and i am so tired of them not teaching the kids in that class anything .My ds won't be ready for middle school next year and that is going to lead him in being behind  his whole life. I don't want that i want my son to learn so he can go to college and not be another statistic. My mom knows people who graduated and can't even read and write their own damn name.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I was on supplemental oxygen for 2 years before I finally applied for SSDI. (not the same as ssi btw) It took my Dr telling me that I would never again truly be able to work in a capacity to support my family and if I live another 20 years that would be a miracle. I was approved in less than 3 months so I guess they felt I qualified. I'm 41 though, so I guess this post doesn't really apply to me, lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM
6 moms liked this

I do agree. An old high school friend & I just got back into contact last year. We caught up on how our lives have been, mine of course Wonderful, but his, as he puts it, horrible, because he said he chose to do hard core drugs & live on the streets, no job, Etc. Well now he is applying for Disability he says because the drugs messed him up so bad that he cannot work. BS! I am sorry but what a poor, pathetic excuse. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but that is just plain old sad! He could work, he is just choosing not to. Pure laziness on his part.

elfling811
by Niki on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:51 PM
It took 3 years for me to get approved for my SSDI and I am far from a wimp. I have had cancer 3 times and this last time the chemo left me permanently disabled.

I am 41.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)