Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was a Jehovah's Witness

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 207 Replies
1 mom liked this
I notice a lot of confusion about their belief system and culture. I'm now a Pagan; but not because of any wrongdoing on their part.

This post is an ask me anything post, centralised around JWs. I have a keen understanding of the religion and much of my family are still practing JWs.

So please. Ask me anything.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:28 AM

What are the most common misconceptions about the religion?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:31 AM
2 moms liked this
The one that I see the most often is that they are a cult. In my understanding of the definition of a cult, they are not.

I also see a lot of people feel they are being wholly unfair to their children because they do not celebrate certain holidays. Most children that grow up in the organization have no issues with thay fact, and hey, who wouldn't like not having to worry about expensive holidays every year.

Quoting Blueliner:

TG3
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I thought you got disowned by your family when you left the church

NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Ha!  That's funny.  I was raised a JW and became a Pagan, too.  Though, I never considered myself to be a JW.

Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Do they celebrate any holidays? How?

Quoting Anonymous:

The one that I see the most often is that they are a cult. In my understanding of the definition of a cult, they are not.

I also see a lot of people feel they are being wholly unfair to their children because they do not celebrate certain holidays. Most children that grow up in the organization have no issues with thay fact, and hey, who wouldn't like not having to worry about expensive holidays every year.

Quoting Blueliner:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:35 AM
No. You are 'disowned' if you are disfellowshipped or disaccosiate yourself, however immediate family can still contact you, as well as other relatives if they feel comfortable with their faith.

If you just leave, or become inactive, people can choice not to associate with you, because you may be a 'wordly influence' but many do not.

Quoting TG3:

I thought you got disowned by your family when you left the church

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Welcome to the converted club lol!

Quoting NiamhWitch:

Ha!  That's funny.  I was raised a JW and became a Pagan, too.  Though, I never considered myself to be a JW.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Not so much celebrate. They have a memorial night, which is technically everyone else's easter.

They do not indulge in the holidays, although it is not uncommon to see family or congregation casual meet ups around Christmas, because it is generally when everyone has time off.

Quoting Blueliner:

Do they celebrate any holidays? How?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Blueliner:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM

what is up with all the door to door stuff? and how many doors did you get slammed in your face? (serously?)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I've never had a door slammed in my face, although when I was little we went out to a farm and my mom and a good friend of hers got fired at by a shotgun. That was scary.

The reason for door to door preaching is that jesus said to go forth and spread the word with people of all the nations, this is their way of doing so.

Quoting Anonymous:

what is up with all the door to door stuff? and how many doors did you get slammed in your face? (serously?)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)