Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do kids have to call before coming over?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 259 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ds is 8 years old. I'm VERY laxed (compared to other moms)... as long as ds tells me where he's going, and he checks in at least once within a couple hours (he's usually out on school days between 4 to 8pm)...

He also, for the most part, has free reign on where he goes. Never far, but that's his choice.

I don't normally let him use my phone- I see no reason for it.I only have a cell, no home phone. There's one mom who basically yelled at ds for not calling before he came over. They live less than a block away.

Is that normal? Ds doesn't go over there anymore, for that reason.

If kids come here and ds is busy, I just tell them to come back later, not to call first. I could understand if it was an actual play date that we set up, but if ds goes somewhere, he's not allowed in anyone's house unless he checks in with me first

eta: i just wanna add, if ds goes to a friend's, he's not allowed in their house, and he knows if they are eating- snack or dinner, or whatever meal time, he's to come home. NORMALLY, ds is around my area- riding his bike, or playing in the grass with all the other kids within this neighborhood. Any given minute, I can usually see out my back wall (which is all Windows) and see him.

If the weather is nice, sun is shining, I don't understand why kids can't go outside. Growing up, weekends I was gone the entire time, my parents had no idea where I was. Ds goes out around 4:30, comes home at 6 for dinner, then he's back out. More recently, esp with the time change, after dinner, I'm out there with him, playing right along.

t
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM
It's not normal around here, but if she wants him to call he should just call.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM
7 moms liked this

where to begin ?

TurtleMomma82
by Barbie on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I don't turn kids away if they don't call first.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
He called a couple times, but no one ever answered the phone, or didn't call back (he leaves vm's).. he can play with them at school and on the walk home (they live further than us from school grounds).. I just thought of it as kinda weird, but figured maybe it's just me and other parents had this rule.

Quoting Snapdragon88:

It's not normal around here, but if she wants him to call he should just call.
JohnnysGirl27
by Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Everything else aside, yeah, it's polite to call.

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I can see why it'd be nice, but I wouldn't yell at at a kid for it and I wouldn't turn them away.
crackerjack728
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM
3 moms liked this

No thats not normal. My sons are 8 and 9 and they go knock on friends doors as well. 

Unless the friend is driving distance a away, then we always call. 

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM
No. They come over, if we are busy we tell them. My son does the same. I don't have all the neighbors numbers although I do of the ones he plays with the most. I guess call that particular neighbor first.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM
3 moms liked this
In today's society I would NEVER let my 8 yr old roam around for hours with no supervision. That's just crazy !

If the other mother prefers a phone call , I don't see the big deal. Although I , myself , wouldn't turn a child away JUST because they didn't call first .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM
12 moms liked this
You let your eight year old wander the streets hooping to find a free baby sitter every day. Well I have nothing nice to say so I'm backing out of this thread.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)