Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Awards day at our elementary school has me IRRITATED!

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM
  • 249 Replies
2 moms liked this

So the short of it is my 8 year old made all A's for the first 9 weeks and they have a short program to recognize the progress of the students for each 9 weeks. What I didn't expect was how much focus they kept putting on PERFECT ATTENDANCE. I am all for sending my kids to school every day that I can but here's the thing. We don't have perfect immune systems in our house. Genetics do play a factor in your immune system and when a kid is sick and SHOULD NOT go to school they shouldn't be penalized for it. If you follow that line of thinking that's like saying, "Congrats, you are tall."  They also made it seem like the kids who were getting all A's were the ones who were getting perfect attendance. My baby worked hard for her all A's and I am proud of that. (Math has been a struggle.) The principal stopped the awards day in the middle to make a big speech about perfect attendance and they give out awards for this too.

My biggest complaint for making such a big deal of perfect attendance is for the ignorant people who send their kids to school sick just so they make perfect attendance, or for reasons of job, etc... If they are sick the school will have to call you and make you come get them anyway but in the mean-time you are infecting other childen! I have a child with health issues that could end up in the hospital or worse due to a virus, so in my humble opinion it is NOT right to preach perfect attendance if it could mean the health of other students. I personally do not know any parents who don't send their kids to school on a regular school day just for giggles.

Okay... I have got that out of my system, but what are your thoughts?

PS. I am so for perfect attendance if you can, and my kids go every day they are healthy.

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:33 AM
3 moms liked this
Yeah.

It's like saying that those kids who had absences need to do better and strive to be like Johnny.

Like the kids who had absences stayed home for the hell of it.

Annoying.
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM
15 moms liked this
I think it's fine :)

Perfect attendance is something to be recognised.
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM
She would hate how our school awards perfect attendance every month.

Quoting Randi02:

I think it's fine :)

Perfect attendance is something to be recognised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
onethentwins
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM
6 moms liked this

perfect attendance is definitely something to be rewarded, especially as it includes promptness.  Perfect attendance goes a long way in the business world too. 

TatyBear
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM
3 moms liked this
Perfect attendance is dumb. Who cares.

They don't do that here. Only recognize those with in the honor roll.system.

And I'm glad they do it that way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. My son is all about perfect attendance this year because they have a pizza party for those that do. It's not like it's the childs fault if they grt sick.
shygurl3166
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM
6 moms liked this
Life happens... I think perfect attendance is a crock. What about the kid who had surgery... or who had a death in the family... or barfed on the way to the bus....

Its a stupid award. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM
8 moms liked this

Well what about the kids who try really hard but will never make A's. Some kids are smarter than others some kids are healthier than others and that is the way things are.  Maybe they shouldn't give out any rewards so no one is upset.  lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I got the perfect attendance award from 1st-8th grade when I was in school. I had pneumonia in kinder and was out for 6 weeks so I missed that year.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM
6 moms liked this
I agree basically with you but look at it the other way. Not all kids can make straight As. They just don't have the talent/brain to do it. What they can do is practice good health things like washing hands, etc. They can decide to go to school even if they are tired and a bit of whining would get Mom to let them sleep in. More employers care about work ethic than being perfect at the job.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN