Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is your dh more lenient than you?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 16 Replies
My dh never addresses any of dd's negative behaviors. She will throw food or mess with things she's not supposed to and cry when we don't let her have the tv remote, all of which I address and say its not appropriate behavior. He just ignores it. She's only 13 months so I know dicipline is still fairly new but I feel like I'm always the bad guy for telling her no. We definitely had different upbringing, my parents were more stict and we turned out nice and polite where as dh's siblings are all brats basically. Neither of his parents believed in dicipline and let the kids run wild. I don't want dd to be bratty or defiant and I just wish he'd be on the same page as me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM

you didn't think to discuss parenting styles before you got married?

April620
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh hush I married out of love not because he passed some quiz. He's a great guy and a wonderful dad, he just doesn't like being the bad guy. That doesn't mean he lets her in harms way or anything, he does say "no" and removes her from situations she shouldn't be in but certain small mannerisms of hers he doesn't feel the need to address like I do

Quoting Anonymous:

you didn't think to discuss parenting styles before you got married?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Nope he is not like that. We both address what needs to be taken care of.

supercarp
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:36 PM

This was a big problem for me. My husband wanted to be a friend, not a parent, and allowed the kids to play us off against each other. That created misery for everyone. In order to cope, I kept them really busy with activities and that was a good solution.

Parents need to show a united front to the kids, or you can't discipline at all.

daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

eh.. we both kind of even each other out... he is lax in areas that i'm super strict about, and I am lax in areas that he is super strict about.  We typically compromise somewhere in the middle.

Have you sat down and had a heart to heart with your dh about discipline and pointed out that part of loving your child is setting healthy boundaries?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe those things aren't as big of a deal to him.. To me that sounds like normal toddler behavior.. Correcting a child for having emotions (being upset or angry because you wont let her have something)?  If were talking total meltdown throwing stuff and such I can understand.  My hubby is the opposite he thinks I'm to soft because I use alternative punishments but they work for me and I am the one that's here with them all day every day.

ChrissyReznor
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Nope he's the one who's hard on the kids,its kind if annoying sometimes.
AZHOTMOM
by Platinum Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

He is a freakin pansy ass when it comes to discipline. We have girls and he just cannot bring himself to discipline them. But its okay, I don't mind being the heavy.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM
My situation almost exactly!
And I knew DH parenting style because he had two kids.
but our DD is our first girl!
she is the princess who at 5 still can do no wrong.
just this morning I asked him to talk to her on the way to school about her attitude. He said "Anisa never has attitude!"
she pipes in with "I would never have attitude with you daddy!"
lol. Daddy's spoiled little girl!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
poshkat
by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Yes. I hate it and put a stop to it every time I catch it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN