Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Hey you pet people, or pet sitters, or if you have hired one . . . read this!! Have a ?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM
  • 18 Replies

I started pet sitting, and stopped advertising after one client, as she is very good to me and uses me basically like a dog nanny to her 5 chihuahuas.  The arrangement is great for both of us and she pays me $15/hour.  We have developed an awesome working friendship and Iove her doggies like my own lol. 

She is going out of town for a week and I will be staying at her house nights while she is gone and watching them sporadically during the day Thanksgiving week. 

I have NO IDEA what to charge . . . obviously $15/hour is going to get out of control and I would like to do a daily flat rate. 

Thoughts? If you are a pet sitter what do you charge for this type of in home service?  If you have hired one, what have you paid? 

Any input appreciated :)

by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jdy9440
by on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM

No idea....bump

mom22boys333
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I had a petsitting business (I quit 6 yrs ago due to pregnancy) but I charged 10 a visit or 30 a day (for 3 visits or overnight).  Hope this helps.

BoppyMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Would you have charged that same price for 5 dogs? 

Quoting mom22boys333:

I had a petsitting business (I quit 6 yrs ago due to pregnancy) but I charged 10 a visit or 30 a day (for 3 visits or overnight).  Hope this helps.

young_lv_mom
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM
How many hours a day do you normally watch them? But if anything find out how much it would cost her to put them in a kennel for that time and make your price a bit lower, or a lot lower depending on how you feel about it.
BoppyMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM

This would be 12 hours for the overnight parts and then at least 1 one hour stop in during the day for 6 days.  Kennels around here are $15 a dog per night per small dog.  This is also a holiday week.

Quoting young_lv_mom:

How many hours a day do you normally watch them? But if anything find out how much it would cost her to put them in a kennel for that time and make your price a bit lower, or a lot lower depending on how you feel about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM
I used to charge $10 for the first day, plus $5 per dog on the first day. After that it was just $5 a day per dog.

So for your situation it would be $35 the first day and $25 every day after.

mom22boys333
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Oooh......I would've went up to $50 maybe...I was always uncomfortable giving prices, luckily the people I worked for compensated me b/c of that. 

Quoting BoppyMom:

Quoting mom22boys333:

BoppyMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Really?  For overnights?  AND daily checkins on top?  She pays me $15 an hour now . . . that would be waaay undercutting.  Hmmm.  That price was her suggestion btw.  Veddy veddy interesting! 

Quoting Anonymous:

I used to charge $10 for the first day, plus $5 per dog on the first day. After that it was just $5 a day per dog.

So for your situation it would be $35 the first day and $25 every day after.

BoppyMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I hate giving prices, too . . . the $15 an hour was her suggestion.  :) 

Quoting mom22boys333:

Oooh......I would've went up to $50 maybe...I was always uncomfortable giving prices, luckily the people I worked for compensated me b/c of that. 

Quoting BoppyMom:

Quoting mom22boys333:

AnnaBright
by Gold Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I pay 50 a day for 3 dogs non overnight.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN