Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Roommate Vent

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

My roommate was my best friend when she moved in with me. We thought that it would be a great idea for her to move into my house because we both needed help making rent and bills and my house is big enough for all of us. It was only supposed to be for 3 months which would have given us both time to get on our feet and time for her to save money to get her own place. Plus we figured that since we had been best friends for so long that it wouldn't be a problem for us. Yeah right. That was a joke. We are now going on 9 months of her being here. She called the landlord and let him know that she lives here too and asked to be put on the lease. (anyone over 18 has to be on the lease). The first month here was ok. There was a few problems but we both just boiled it down to everyone trying to get used to living together. The second month I was ready for month 3 to get here so that she would be moving out. She had turned into a slob and expected me to be the one cooking, cleaning, and paying everything. She had lost her job after living here for two weeks but was supposedly looking for another job. Month 3 I asked her about when she was moving out because that was the agreement and that was when she let me know that she had talked to the landlord and that since she was on the lease too that meant she could stay as long as she wanted to. (WTF?) I was pissed! I talked to the landlord and he got onto me for not letting him know that she was going to be there longer than 3 months (I had told him that she was going to be living here for a few months only) I told him that she was supposed to be moving out of here and that I had literally just found out that she had herself put on the lease. But he said that he couldn't just take her off of the lease since she was paying her part of the rent (that was the only that she had paid, not any of the bills) Month 4 she moved her boyfriend in and moved her kids out of her room and put them out in the living room to sleep on my couches (they ruined my couches because the youngest one (6) would still wet the bed in the middle of the night) I told her not have them on the couches because they would be ruined but she done it anyways and I had to throw out my couches that I had only had for a year and had bought brand new because they had pee stains on them and smelled like pee no matter what I did to clean them because the little girl peed on them every night. I even put down plastic but she would take it off when they would go to sleep. Month 6 her kids broke my dryer because they decided to play in it by two of them getting in there while the third one closed the door and turned it on. It broke my dryer. Which was still pretty new. Do you think she even offers to pay me back for these things that her kids ruined? Hell no. And she knows how much I have struggled just to have these things. They have broke the chairs to my kitchen table to where now we can't even have dinner as a family at the table (something that is very important to me). Anyways, it is now month 9 and I am so happy to say that in 2 days me and my kids are moving into our new place! And she doesn't even know that I'm moving out! She will be gone for a 4 days out of town going to visit her family and that is when I am going to move out. She will be pissed when she comes home to pretty much nothing because everything here is mine. She only has beds here and their clothes. I will leave her a letter telling exactly why I moved out and giving her notice that all the utilities will be turned off with two weeks. (the utilities are in my name and I know that she won't pay them when I move out because she doesn't even help pay them now I have been the one paying all the bills) The only reason that I am even leaving them on for two weeks is because of her kids. It's cold out and they have to have heat and I think that two weeks is plenty of time for her to have it transferred into her name. I don't even have to have the utilities on in my name at the new place because I am moving in with my boyfriend of years and we are putting the house in my name and the bills in his name. Sorry this is so long but I needed to get it all out. And this isn't even half of what I have had to deal with either. Lol 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh man.  She will be in for a world of hurt when she gets back.  I figure you have cleared this plan with landlord so the lease on your part is not broken.  She can add her own boyfriend onto the lease.

JackieGirl007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Wow that's a lot to deal with. What happens with the lease?

Fatal_Frost
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh... my gawd... all I see is a red brick wall... I'm sure your story is great, but I cant see over the wall
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Yep! My landlord knows that I am moving and he knows not to say anything to her about it. He wants her gone too because he knows that I was a very good tenant before she moved in. I have been here for almost two years and never once did he have a problem with me or my children but he gets numerous complaints from the neighbors on both sides of us because he owns those houses too about her kids tearing things up in their yards and being loud. He said that the first month she doesn't pay rent or is late that he is going to start the eviction process. So she will be there for about another month because she still isn't working and her boyfriend does construction but is really lazy about so he works enough to pay their part of the rent and that's it. He is more worried about playing XBox all night and then sleeping all day. But that's not my problem anymore lol

Quoting frndlyfn:

Oh man.  She will be in for a world of hurt when she gets back.  I figure you have cleared this plan with landlord so the lease on your part is not broken.  She can add her own boyfriend onto the lease.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Ok then move along to another post. Easy peasy. 

Quoting Fatal_Frost:

Oh... my gawd... all I see is a red brick wall... I'm sure your story is great, but I cant see over the wall

.PinkHart.
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Is your lease up? If not since you are on the lease you are still responsible for rent there.
frndlyfn
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Yeah  I think we all have run into people that make it worse for others.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep! My landlord knows that I am moving and he knows not to say anything to her about it. He wants her gone too because he knows that I was a very good tenant before she moved in. I have been here for almost two years and never once did he have a problem with me or my children but he gets numerous complaints from the neighbors on both sides of us because he owns those houses too about her kids tearing things up in their yards and being loud. He said that the first month she doesn't pay rent or is late that he is going to start the eviction process. So she will be there for about another month because she still isn't working and her boyfriend does construction but is really lazy about so he works enough to pay their part of the rent and that's it. He is more worried about playing XBox all night and then sleeping all day. But that's not my problem anymore lol

Quoting frndlyfn:

.PinkHart.
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:23 AM
But did he remove you from the lease?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Fatal_Frost
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:24 AM
2 moms liked this
Crazy... up til this post I thought paragraphs were easy peasy too

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok then move along to another post. Easy peasy. 

Quoting Fatal_Frost:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 3:24 AM
Holy crap, that's a lot to deal with. Glad you're able to move out.
Just make sure you let the landlord know so your name is off the lease.
Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured