Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My DH Killed a Dog-Edit

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:56 AM
  • 141 Replies

He hit it on his way to work this morning. He called me, he couldn't stop and turn around so he had me go see if it needed help. He was so upset. He loves dogs. He didn't have time to stop when it ran in front of him. If you have a dog, please make sure it doesn't run loose, especially at 3 am. I saw that he had a collar (it was a brindle pit bull) and he looked well cared for, I didn't get out or anything, so I don't know if he had tags on. I don't know if we need to contact someone. My poor husband feels like shit. He has never run over an animal before.

ETA: 

I called the non-emergency line. I have to call backafter the animal control officer gets there in the morning. Since it seems to be an issue, I will put it here.

The dog was hit on an acceleration lane for a highway. It is not a safe area to get out att 3am. It is a newer addition, so there is not much lighting. All I could do was pull along side the dog with my hazards on and use a flashlight to look at it. I am assuming he was hit head first, he would have died instantly. It was very graphic. There would have been nothing anyone could have done to save that poor dog.

pregnant

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 4:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:04 AM

Should you make some kind of report after hitting a dog?

pregnant

MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:33 AM
Why didn't you get out? It could probably do with going to the vet, I'm sorry but this makes me sick... You're just as much at fault if you dont at least check to see if it can be saved
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:42 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting MagicMonkey:

Why didn't you get out? It could probably do with going to the vet, I'm sorry but this makes me sick... You're just as much at fault if you dont at least check to see if it can be saved

I drove out there. It couldn't be saved. Maybe if the owners loved it, they should have not let it run loose next to a highway. Apparently you didn't read the post.

pregnant

oliveoyl214
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:43 AM
1 mom liked this

call your local animal control. you should be able to get a live operator and they will tell you exactly what to do and take it from there. I'm so sorry for the pooch and your husband. Hang in there and call ASAP

hugs

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:44 AM
How do you know it couldn't be saved if you didn't get out?
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:45 AM

Thanks. I will try to call the non-emergency line. The dog was clearly dead when I went out there. I didn't get out because it was only about 3:30 am by the time I got there and there was clearly nothing I could do.

Quoting oliveoyl214:

call your local animal control. you should be able to get a live operator and they will tell you exactly what to do and take it from there. I'm so sorry for the pooch and your husband. Hang in there and call ASAP

hugs

pregnant

MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:46 AM
And how do you know it couldn't be saved if you didn't get out?

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

Quoting MagicMonkey:

I drove out there. It couldn't be saved. Maybe if the owners loved it, they should have not let it run loose next to a highway. Apparently you didn't read the post.

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:47 AM

Quoting twinmommy27:

How do you know it couldn't be saved if you didn't get out?

Because the dogs head had very clearly took the brunt of the impact. There was a lot of blood. It was at an entrance to a highway, so my husband was getting up to highway speeds when the dog ran out in front of him. He did try to hit his brakes, but it was too fast. I stopped and shined a light at him. The dog most likely died on impact.

pregnant

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:49 AM

The dogs head took the brunt of the impact with a car that was accelerating to enter a highway. My husband guessed he had probably been up to about 50-55 when the dog ran in front of him. I stopped, rolled down my window, and shined a light on him. He was dead, there was no way to save him. I would have called for help if the dog was breathing at all.

Quoting MagicMonkey:

And how do you know it couldn't be saved if you didn't get out?

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

Quoting MagicMonkey:

pregnant

Butterfly1108
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:51 AM

Sorry to hear this :(

Id feel the same way...poor doggie but they are no longer from this world...I like to believe when an animal dies they go to "Rainbow Bridge" look it up...:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured