Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I report this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you tell the welfare office about her settlement?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 79

View Results

My SIL lives on welfare. She gets FS, WIC and medicaid. She is employed as a babysitter 40 hours a week for a family. They pay her partially under the table, $150 a week on the books and $150 under the table.  Of course she brings her DD with her. This enables her to get $350 in FS for her and her DD and WIC. If she reported the whole $300, she would probably only get 1/2 the food stamps (according to her).

She was hit by a car over a year ago and finally she is getting her settlement. It is $50,000 but the lawyer takes 1/3 so she will walk away with over $33,000 (it wasn't her car, she was riding with a friend so she has no property damage). Also, medicaid paid for every penny of the medical care. She is supposed to report to them that she got a settlement and pay them back but she is trying to get away with no doing that. The reason is, even after paying them back, she would $26,000 or so and if they know she has that much money, her food stamps and medicaid will be cut.  But really, she is getting a lot of money, it SHOULD be cut, there is no reason she needs $33,000 in the bank while the government pays for her food and medical. I am a bit sick of seeing her do all this shady stuff to get more welfare.

Also, she has told just about everyone she knows so it's not like she would know it was me

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:17 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM
7 moms liked this
I would mind my business
momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:19 AM
3 moms liked this

It is typically public record. They will find out about the settlement. Her dishonesty will bite her in the ass in the end.

pregnant

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:20 AM
3 moms liked this

For that small amount no. That is not a huge settlement. I would be more concerned with the unclaimed earnings than a settlement she got for getting injured in a car accident that wasn't her fault.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:20 AM
This!

Quoting Anonymous:

I would mind my business

tcallisto
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I would, because it feels as if she is taking advantage of the system in so many different ways.  Not even with just the settlement, but with getting paid under the table.  Thats not fair to everyone else.  Sounds like she is the type of person that gives the recipiants that need it a bad name.

Foolynroo2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, because if she did the right and honest thing, there will be no harm for her.

She should pay her own way - while she can, and when she burns through that cash which Im sure she does, since she can't support herself anyhow - she can re-apply.

kristen0812
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
No. I wouldn't get involved.
mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Do you really need to ask this??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Are you willing to risk your relationship with your DH over it?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)