Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Shopping on Thanksgiving

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 80 Replies

I'm thinking of shopping on Thanksgiving.  I am newly separated.  My family is doing thanksgiving dinner this weekend because my sister is in town, so it seems pointless to drive 2 hrs there in a couple of weeks.  My mil will be hosting for their family so I'm thinking my kids should go with their dad.  That day will be the only break I have from my kids that weekend and it would be nice to get a jump on my Christmas shopping.  Am I being selfish to go shopping that day?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:25 AM
3 moms liked this

I refuse to go shopping on Thanksgiving, mostly because I've worked retail my entire life and I hate the fact that all the stores stay open and keep the employees from their families.

I mean, FFS, Kmart is starting their Black Friday at 6am Thanksgiving Morning. *headdesk*

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:25 AM
2 moms liked this

We relax on holidays and stay home if we're not travelling to see family......Life is so hectic all of the time that when we all get a chance to stay home as a family, we do so.

heldcaptiveby2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:26 AM
No your not, take a break bad enjoy shopping
Keara20
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Nah do it. Te damn store is open. You'll be home alone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:28 AM

No, I don't think so. I used to work retail and I always needed the holiday pay. It never bothered me to work during holidays. I realize that a lot of people have taken issue with stores being open on Thanksgiving day though. Do what's right for you.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:29 AM
If that's what you want to do, go for it.
Heisenberg
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I won't. I don't want to be a part of that. I, however, am not you. :)

PPCLC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

You're not being selfish in my book, OP. 

It's your choice and while I realize many in this country have a hissy fit at the mere thought that retailers are making a smart, business decision to be open that day and shoppers might want to shop on what should be nothing less than a Normal Rockwell family gathering on Thanksgiving, for whatever the reasons may be, there are people who want to shop on that day.

I say go for it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Do retailers pay holiday pay?   If so I probably won't feel as guilty.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, I don't think so. I used to work retail and I always needed the holiday pay. It never bothered me to work during holidays. I realize that a lot of people have taken issue with stores being open on Thanksgiving day though. Do what's right for you.

Sekirei
by Nari on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Quoting LokisMama:

I refuse to go shopping on Thanksgiving, mostly because I've worked retail my entire life and I hate the fact that all the stores stay open and keep the employees from their families.

I mean, FFS, Kmart is starting their Black Friday at 6am Thanksgiving Morning. *headdesk*

seriously

and the people who came in to shop were always so bloody rude. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN