Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

VERY torn and confused, advice PLEASE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 108 Replies
1 mom liked this

I need some advice and opinions please.  I am so confused.

My family is in a bad way financially. My dh is suffering from severe depression and is not working. I am in the process of getting him either in patient or partial hospitalization treatment, but this is going to be a long road. I will support him through it, that is what a spouse does.

My salary is NOT sufficent to support us, we are drowning.  His mother has offered to allow us to live in her house till we get on our feet. My plan is to attend LPN school for a year and then make enough money to support us. She is actually the one who suggested this route, she took it herself when my dh was younger and she had 2 kids to support. 

I found out last night that a local college has a scholar ship program for the field that I really WANT to go into, but it would be at least 2 years more of school then I already have.  The clincher for me is that the terms of the scholarship are a commitment to work for a specific company for 2 years after completing the program. It is the company I want to work for! It would make good money. But I don't want to be in school for 2 years if it means his poor mom is supporting my entire family for that extra time.  My dh is a good man, but his mental health is very poor. He WANTS to be well and is trying, but I cannot count on his ability to work. I hate that, but it's true.

WWYD?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:32 AM

OOPs, My MIL, not my mother, HIS mother, not mine

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Bump

jdy9440
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:33 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd take her up on her offer and let her help while you get trained. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I would not be comfortable depending on someone to support my family for that long. It sounds like a good opportunity but do you think you could live with mil for that long?

Is your dh getting any help? Qualify for some type of disability?
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I would finish the year of school and get back to supporting my own family as soon as possible.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:35 AM

but would you do the LPN program or the other? I think I should just do the LPN

Quoting jdy9440:

I'd take her up on her offer and let her help while you get trained. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Bump idk gl
hopeym23
by J3 on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:35 AM
2 moms liked this

My mother offered to let us live in her house.  That was 7 years ago.  She now could not live without us here.  We pay almost all the bills do upkeep...basically the house is ours.  we are trying to buy it.  My mom is 70 as well so I don't want her to live on her own.  Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM
3 moms liked this
Talk to her about it see what she says
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM
4 moms liked this

hey, if sh'es willing to help you out during that time, go for it...she wouldn't do it if she didn't want to...you won't get another golden opportunity like this again...accept the help while you are lucky enough to have it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)