Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Really BM?! You seriously thought it would be ok?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 92 Replies
Dh has primary custody of my sd. She lives with us during the week and goes to her moms over the weekend. BM brought sd back early this morning unannounced, which I have zero issue with. BM just dropped sd off, didn't get out or anything, and left. Sd who is 8 came in. Ok first I'm shocked she just dropped her off but whatever, I'm happy to have sd home, until I start going through her bag she takes back and forth the check for, and wash clothes. Inside the bag is a box, with holes. I ask sd about it. She lit up with excitement to show me the gecko her mom bought her! No tank, no bedding, no lamps, just a gecko! I asked sd and she stated the BM said we could buy all that stuff, she bought the gecko sd wanted. Now, I wouldn't mind sd having a small pet, but it's not BM place to buy her one for our house and not provide anything else! I've called dh (he's working some overtime today) and he's trying to reach BM to have her take the gecko to her house. If she wants to buy one she can provide all the other essentials, for her home. Not ours! But of course BM isn't answering her phone. And honestly, we don't have the money to spare on the equipment this gecko needs right now, so what the hell am I supposed to do with this gecko?!

***small update***
Mil called me, apparently dh called her to vent about BM. Mil has an old 10 gallon tank she will bring over. We still have nothing else but at least I can get this gecko out of this box.

As for sd, she and I sat down. I explained to her that it wasn't right of her mom to assume we were ok with this, and that BM should have either spoken with us first, or not bought it at all. I reminded sd that we don't have small pets for a reason, that they are work, but if she wants to keep it, she has a decision to make, it either goes back to her moms house and her mom can provide the rest of the essentials, or sd will have to use some of her allowance money to help with the costs, and if she wants to keep it here, she has to fully take care of it, that means feeding it, watering, cleaning the tank, all of it. Only reason I said she will have to help with costs is because she knew her dad and mines stance on pets in the house. We have a cat, who I've had since before dh and I met, and I still have to take care of the cat, buying her food, changing her litter box, and socializing with her, she is my responsibility, and this gecko is going to be sd responsilibilty. I told her to think on it until grandma and her dad gets home before she makes any choices.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SaraW1989
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM
3 moms liked this

I'd put it in her mailbox. 

MilkLover0203
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Get on Craigslist, or free cycle. Don't make waves over a lizard.
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM
4 moms liked this
Stew
HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM
4 moms liked this
Um, take it back to the pet store? I'm bothered by the fact she dropped SD off without confirming someone was home first smh
CheesyKitty
by Cm Addict on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
holy crap. How rude to your sd!
Peaceful.chaos
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM
I don't blame you at all. We have 2 leopard geckos and I sort if regret getting them. Their poop really stinks and they aren't friendly at all. Have her keep it at her house or take it back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like BM wanted to put you on the spot and make you the bad guy. That is messed up thing to do. I would do the same thing and tell her to keep it at her place and she can buy all the stuff since she didn't ask you all first about this.
CheesyKitty
by Cm Addict on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Yea there are free sets all the time. Good idea MilkLover

Quoting MilkLover0203:

Get on Craigslist, or free cycle. Don't make waves over a lizard.

TheDoctorsWife
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Awe man. I'd be annoyed too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM
4 moms liked this
Turn about is fair play. Drive to BM's house, open the door, and let the gecko walk in unannounced!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)