Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 5 year old daughter diagnosed as bipolar...am I wrong?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 281 Replies
I could be here typing all day, but I finally broke down and took my daughter, who's almost 6 to a psychologist. I thought she was ADHD and she is a little bit but the dr thinks with the treatment for the mood disorder it should help with ADHD. I just never thought a mood disorder or bipolar would be the diagnoses. She's manic which is overly happy, which seems to be better than down in the dumps. Anyone else go through this? I feel awful, feel to blame and feel awful for agreeing to medicate her, but her behavior is not normal. I also feel like I'm doing something wrong as my mother is so mad at me for putting her on med. She's very smart but just different than other kids her age. I'm just looking for support and guidance.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AllyB_
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM
4 moms liked this

do some research about bipolar disorder. It's important to medicate. I'm raising a 14 year old with bipolar disorder and he's medicated right now. my 4 year old is about to be diagnosed as well. Depression and mania can be really hard on the brain. my 14 year old's therapist told me that if you look at a brain that has been through severe depression or mania it has holes in it, dead parts. It's important to medicate to prevent depression and mania so the brain can stay healthy. She also told us that its a progressive disease and treating it helps it from getting worse as they get older. you're doing the right thing for your daughter

Foleygirl24
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM
18 moms liked this

Honestly I would get a second opinion. Bipolar disorder is the new "it" thing for kids to have (in the psychology world, not saying parents are wanting this), but it's extremely rare for a child that young to actually have it. It usually doesn't hit until the teens or even the twenties. I would definitely get a second opinion before putting her on meds for it, because bipolar meds can come with some serious side effects.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

HUG!! Breathe!!! It will be ok.

Now I do have some questions...did they perform any tests or have you fill out any behavior questionaires? What medication has she been prescribed? How long have you known this psychologist? Is he a child psychologist?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM
9 moms liked this

WHY ARE YOU MEDICATING THAT POOR KID?

Because she's overly happy????? OMG!!  :(

Terrible. Change her diet, eliminate the food garbage and chemical crap you use for soaps and shampoos and laundry soap.

UGHHH..... kids these days have no chance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM
5?!?!? My 11 year old has me wondering about it with him, and I thought he was young. He has an adhd diagnosis, but I would never accept a dr telling me that at 5. Yikes.
notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM
8 moms liked this

I would never trust a dr who diagnosed a 5 year old with bipolar.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Please please please I beg you get a second opion. She is way too young to be diagnosed with bipolar, usualy the first signs start around the time they are teenagers. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Join bipolar diaries. You should be able to get some good advice.
Mom-does-hair
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM
2 moms liked this
My ds has been diagnosed with a mood disorder. He was put on medication at 3, almost 4 because he had gotten violent. He was hurting himself and trying to hurt me and his brother physically. He is 5 now. His psychiatrist is great, agrees with me to not medicate until needed, but when the violence started, it was needed. He is leaning toward a bipolar diagnosis, but says until he is 8 or 9, he is too young to be diagnosed. He def is not add or ADHD or anything like that. Been a hard few years, but we hang in there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM
7 moms liked this
No child should be diagnosed that early. Get a second opinion.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)