Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Entertainment for a long car ride

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 182 Replies
Ladies, I need ideas to entertain my 7 year old on a 14 hour car ride. She loves books, but I don't see her reading for 14 hours.

I don't know why dh thinks this will be "fun, and a great experience!"
We should just fly. 14 hours in a car will be an eternity with our 4 month old. He's a cuddle bug.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylesWifey
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Coloring books, do you have a tablet? If so you can put movies on it, download some apps for her, play kids music and sing along!

hanniwrencher
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:58 PM

good luck... i'm dying to hear some ideas as well... as of the 27th we will have a 17+ hour car ride from texas to chicago... (for thanksgiving) with myself, dh, 19 year old dd, 17 yr old dd, 6 year old dd, and 3.5 year old dd... i could use some ideas as well... 

gabbysmommy1223
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:59 PM
4 moms liked this
We drove from Illinois to Texas in June, it was 17 hours straight through. We put DVD players in our car and that alone was a life saver. I made sure there was a variety of snacks to choose from. We had color books, blank pieces of paper, a kindle, dollar tree work books (help with math, reading, etc.) I also bought a new unopened toy (car friendly, size appropriate) to surprise with when they were super bored. We sang songs and came up with silly games to play. We had a great time. Btw, my girls are 3 & 6. Try to have fun!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Lol, I so wish I had your optimistic attitude!

Quoting gabbysmommy1223:

We drove from Illinois to Texas in June, it was 17 hours straight through. We put DVD players in our car and that alone was a life saver. I made sure there was a variety of snacks to choose from. We had color books, blank pieces of paper, a kindle, dollar tree work books (help with math, reading, etc.) I also bought a new unopened toy (car friendly, size appropriate) to surprise with when they were super bored. We sang songs and came up with silly games to play. We had a great time. Btw, my girls are 3 & 6. Try to have fun!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SageAdvice
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM
5 moms liked this

Ambien, lol, you take some and let your DH figure out how to keep your daughter entertained.

Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you just buy movies from iTunes? We have an ipad, and kindle fire.

Quoting KylesWifey:

Coloring books, do you have a tablet? If so you can put movies on it, download some apps for her, play kids music and sing along!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crackerjack728
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:03 PM
We drive 24hours to disney every year. Its a long time n a car, but the kids deal fine. They bring wotd puzzels, books, video games, movies.....but honestly theymostly sleep and play car games with us.
matofour
by Silver Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM
3 moms liked this
We love love driving long trips with our kids.
Mad libs are so fun.
My kids love pipe cleaners, post it notes, I hit up the dollar section of stores, so many little things to pick up there.
They play video games, and read, and watch movies.
They love stopping at the gas stations and et treats.
My kids get antsy of we don't take a trip every few months. We all love traveling. And always drive, so much more fun for us.
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Do you or DH have a tablet? My 6yo could play games on my Kindle Fire for hours if I let her, LOL. Or have you considered driving overnight? Then she could sleep for most of it. If that won't work, you could always occupy her with some of the old school games, like the license plate game or I Spy.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 14 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 9 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 18 months old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 17 years old (niece) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I have driven from South Texas to Minnesota and back with my 4 year old. It was a blast. He had a coloring book, a couple matchbox cars, his leapster and about 3 or 4 books to read. We stopped every about 4 hours for potty breaks and a hotel for the night on the way up there and on the way back. We played games in the car like the license plate game and eye spy. It was just me and my 4 year old. It was a fantastic experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)