Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 9yr Old Still Sleeps w/Us

Posted by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM
  • 133 Replies

My DD (9) woke up weeks ago w/a bad dream & ever since then she will not sleep in her room

She has snuck into bed w/DH & I, but there is just not enough room w/3 humans & a huge dog!

We have tried but she sneaks into the room & lays on the hard floor which kicked up her migraines :(

We put the air mattress in our room so she has been sleeping on that.

She won't even go into her bedroom alone, but like me she doesn't really remember her dreams so she isn't exactly sure what she dreamt about.  She just has this overwhelming fear.

We really don't mind, but I'm just worried about her:(

EDIT: We have changed her room around, got her new bedding & new wall decor.  She was so excited & helped put it all together.  All day she was ready to sleep in her room, until the time came & the fear came right back :(

Mine & DH's relationship is not suffering bc of this & it won't. So I'm not worried about that.

I don't think she has a mental disorder, I remember doing the same thing around her age.  However, my parents forced me to stay in my room.  It didn't help, left me in a room terrified & doing that didn't mke it go away & I won't do that to her.

by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CABZS
by Emerald Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM

b

Apgsteenmommy
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM
4 moms liked this

keep giving her love and support

bump

Kaybean
by Ruby Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you need to somehow get her to develop positive feelings about her bedroom again. She needs to associate it with good feelings instead of bad.
CABZS
by Emerald Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you & we are.

I don't really think she is doing this to test us or anything, she truly does look scared.  I also remember doing this & would sneak into my sister's room, however, she hated it even though I would seriously just sleep on her floor.  But since she hated it I got into trouble, I started sneaking into my parents room....until well I um saw what no child wants to see!  It was hard not having a safe place to go.  I don't want her to go through that!

I think I started this around 8/9. Weird that we both started this at the same age?

Quoting Apgsteenmommy:

keep giving her love and support

bump

PookaboosMom
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Aww. My seven year old just recently started sleeping by herself....but the house we just bought has loft room connected to my room....that's the only reason she can handle it.
CABZS
by Emerald Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM

We are trying, but it is taking time.

I'm going to sound crazy but sometimes I wonder if she sees things.  Though you may not believe in that stuff.

Quoting Kaybean:

I think you need to somehow get her to develop positive feelings about her bedroom again. She needs to associate it with good feelings instead of bad.

CABZS
by Emerald Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:57 PM

bump

briellesmomma
by Velvet on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Good luck :( that's sad poor baby
CABZS
by Emerald Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Poor dear :(

Our room is right next to her's but it doesn't matter she acts like we are miles & miles away.

Quoting PookaboosMom:

Aww. My seven year old just recently started sleeping by herself....but the house we just bought has loft room connected to my room....that's the only reason she can handle it.

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Awww it'll be OK. Millions of families all over the world sleep in the same room. It's all good. Lots of hugs and good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN