Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Non speaking toddler

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

My LO is 2 years and 3 months old. He doesn't really say a lot of words but he still says some. He understands what DH and I are saying but he doesn't want to repeat words back to us. We have been working with him since he was 22 months when we noticed he wasn't doing well in the speech area. My pedi wants us to get him into speech therapy but, after talking to my family, I actually found out that most of the kids in my family did not start talking, at all, until they were 3.5-4 years old and none of them were ever behind in school, and they actually excelled. I feel like, if I did do speech therapy, I would be doing him more of a disservice because he does get frustrated really easily. He doesn't concentrate on any one thing at a time and is extremely hyper. However, I did notice that, when other kids are around, he picks up on what they are saying and will repeat them easily and almost perfectly.

Anyone have kids like this? If so what did you do with them? Did you let them figure it out on their own or did you take them to therapy.

(just one reason I don't like speech therapy is because it actually set my little brother farther back. He was at least saying some words before they came to work with him but after he clammed up and didn't say anything at all for another 6 months or so.)

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I went to school for speech but i was four. My brother had to go to same school when he was four as well. I think kids clamming up over it has do with the approach more then the therapy itself.
markswife03
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:37 AM
I wouldn't worry. My now 3.5 year old son was the same way. At age 2 he had spoken less than 10 words, and even then he barely spoke those words. He saw a speech therapist for a couple of months and it didn't help because he wouldn't cooperate. He just wanted to play with the toys.

We left him alone and over time he started speaking more and more. I have no worries about him now. Some kids just take their time.
MilkLover0203
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this
My middle son, who'll be five this week, didn't talk until he was about two and a half. It just came out of nowhere one day. Now he only stops talking if he's sleeping.
Fatal_Frost
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:39 AM
My great-niece is almost 2 and she doesnt say much at all
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Ok. Thank you ladies! That really makes me feel better. My pedi wasn't very happy about me not taking him to therapy but he will live with it. Though, if he keeps pushing the issue I would be more than happy to switch pedis, again..

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I think if he's responding to what you're saying, can obviously understand you, and responds back in some fashion (even non-verbal), and has a few words that include different sounds, he's fine.  Keep an eye on him.  Don't pressure him, but just keep deliberately talking to him, labeling everyday items, pointing out things at the store, etc.  

My DS needed speech therapy when he was 3ish, for about a year.  He spoke, but it all came out as Eh, eh, eh, eh.  No other sounds.  They diagnosed him with apraxia, along with a couple other things, and the therapy helped tremendously.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:44 AM
My niece was like that. She didn't speak until she was 3. She developed her own sign language. We did not put her in speech therapy or anything. She did very well in school and graduated early. She is now 18 and is an amazing writer. She has always been shy but is a very bright girl.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:49 AM

He does respond to what I say. He knows what brushing teeth, dinner, bath, water/sippy and stuff like that is. If he is hungry and it isn't a meal time he comes up to me and does a grabbing hand motion that means he is hungry. If he brings me a toy he wants to play, opens the dvd player he wants to watch a movie (he gets to watch one movie a day), just stuff like that. We have a system so I understand him and he understands me so it is not a big issue to me but my pedi, I think, is making it seem worse than it actually is.

Quoting 081499:

I think if he's responding to what you're saying, can obviously understand you, and responds back in some fashion (even non-verbal), and has a few words that include different sounds, he's fine.  Keep an eye on him.  Don't pressure him, but just keep deliberately talking to him, labeling everyday items, pointing out things at the store, etc.  

My DS needed speech therapy when he was 3ish, for about a year.  He spoke, but it all came out as Eh, eh, eh, eh.  No other sounds.  They diagnosed him with apraxia, along with a couple other things, and the therapy helped tremendously.  

okpondlady
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:50 AM
2 moms liked this

When my nephew came to stay with us he was 3 and didn't talk, was extremely hyper, didn't self sooth, didn't hold his own sippy cup OR feed himself at all.  Probably because his mom didn't insist that he did most of these things.

I got him evaluated by a Developmental Pediatrician and they diagnosed him with Pervasive Developmental Disorder.  PDD is on the Autism spectrum.  Please do NOT delay an evaluation!!!! Early intervention is key to a good outcome if your child has developmental issues.  Yeah my in-laws tried to say "It is ok to not talk at 3...he will talk when he wants to!!!"  Well... in my world a 2 year old should be at least talking SOME.   A 3 year old should be talking ALOT!!!   Most people that are not family should be understanding a 3  year old pretty good.   If your Pediatrician wants to do an eval PLEASE let them do it!!!    After almost a year of Speech and occupational therapy, our Nephew is catching up fast!   Plus we put him in a Headstart program for 1/2 day in the mornings.   Being around other kids is a kick starter for most kids.  In Oklahoma they have "Sooner Start" which is early headstart.  They are a great program and if they had something like that and you can get a referral, it would probably be great for him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:50 AM

My dad didn't start talking until he was 4 and was the same. Excelled at school and an AMAZING writer and he was also a pastor.

Quoting Anonymous:

My niece was like that. She didn't speak until she was 3. She developed her own sign language. We did not put her in speech therapy or anything. She did very well in school and graduated early. She is now 18 and is an amazing writer. She has always been shy but is a very bright girl.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN