Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Question for people who work at Wal-Mart! help!

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:47 AM
  • 6 Replies

Ok so several weeks ago I was going out of town and needed a pair of tennis shoes.  I stopped at Wal-Mart at a town halfway between where I live and were I was going and bought a $9.99 pair of shoes.  When I got where I was going I took the tags off the shoes and threw them and the receipt away.  Well, the next day I wore those shoes and they were horribly uncomfortable!  Not only did they hurt my feet but they hurt my calves and knees too.  I decided to return them and use the $9.99 towards another pair of shoes.  

So, once I got home the following week, I went to Wal-Mart in our town.  I explained the problem to the Customer Service person who said to go find the exact same shoes so she could scan them.  I went and got the same pair of shoes, she scanned them and then tried to hand me those shoes.  I was like "No, I don't want these, I want the store credit so I can use it towards a different pair of shoes" she said they CAN'T refund or give store credit for shoes or clothes at that store without a receipt.  I have returned items in the past without a receipt and they just give you a gift card and if the item is on sale by then you just have to accept the sale or clearance price.  I asked to speak to the manager and the lady said she would just give me a gift card.  I told her I didn't want her to get into trouble for doing something against the rules, so just to get the manager so it would be handled correctly.  Well she ended up just giving the gift card saying that it was fine etc.

Well I have had the gift card in my wallet for a few weeks now and the other day I was at Wal-Mart so I decided to use that gift card.  Wouldn't you know that when the cashier scanned it there was $0 on it?  I am not sure if there is anything I can do at this point.  I am aware it is only $10, but I am pissed off because she just acted like she was giving me store credit to get me out of her line.

I very rarely return anything (you should see all the stuff I buy, get it home and hate it but don't take the time to return) so I am mad that she didn't just get the manager to let him or her deal with it instead if ripping me off for $10.

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kaysha
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:50 AM
You're out $10 with no way to prove it. Sorry but that does suck.
FelineTopic
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Without a receipt or anything, you're SOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:05 AM
You should still bring it up to a manager. You might not get the money back, but they need to know that one of their employees is lying to customers. You didn't get a receipt for the return?
mamaLynne74
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Take the card in and get a history done on it. To see where the money was spent.

poietes
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM
When you get a gift card you always should get a receipt and the associate should always circle the amount that is on it. I don't know if they can do anything because you don't have proof but it really can't hurt to talk to the manager. Good luck I'm sorry that happened to you.
hargonagain
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Without tags or anything there was nothing she could do except exchange them which she was willing to do.   Then you wanted to get her in trouble because you are above the rules, so she instead just gave you what you wanted so that she have to deal with you any longer than she had to.  Then she makes a mistake and forgets to put the money on the card.... Where is your reciept for this return? You probably used the card already and are trying to scam your way for another free $10.... 

I do not think I am above the rules, I just have never had that happen at Wal-Mart where you couldn't return something without a receipt. I am terrible about throwing away receipts, so I am sure I threw it out. I did not use the card already. As I said I put it in my wallet and it has just been in there. I work in law enforcement, there is no way I would jeopardize my job over $10. When I asked to speak to the manager I was not trying to get her in trouble, in fact, I even said I would rather speak to the manager than have her do something she was not authorized to do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)