Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SSI on children...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

My sons insurance company sent me a letter informing me i needed to apply for ssi as he has breathing difficulties that limit his activity, he is only 2 the doctors said he should have been grown out of it by one...I feel like if i do apply for him it is sort of giving up hope that he will grow out of it, on the flip side of that i am a single mom and the extra money would be good because i lost my lost job because i had to take him to so many appointments.  My question is has anyone heard of an insurance company pushing for someone to apply for thier children, I personally thought this was strange. 

Edit: Also if i do this does anyone know if it really can hurt his chances of doing things like a firefighter as an adult assuming he grows out of everything just fine?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jennahalt
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:31 AM
If he gets ssi they would not have to pay? Or at least as much? Makes sense.
Jennahalt
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:32 AM
Or maybe I'm just tired and crazy and reading it wrong lol
copperked
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Right now, everyone is trying to avoid actually having to pay for healthcare. The insurance companies are trying to get the government to agree to pay for things and the governmemt is trying to shift the burden of socialized healthcare onto the insurance companies. More and more letters like these will be going out as everyone tries to wiggle their way out of paying.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:34 AM
I believe if you apply for ssi now for him it risks his chances of being a police officer or fire fighter when he gets older. A friend told me that I could be wrong.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:34 AM

I honestly don't know, I am supposed to recieve a phone call from them tomorrow to discuss this opition.  It is probably stupid that I feel like its giving up on him growing out of it and even the doctors said that even if he grows out of it he still won't be able to play sports and such because one of his bronchial tubes is wrapped tighter around his heart than it should be which apparently it won't cause to many issues a long as he doesn't over exert.

Quoting Jennahalt:

If he gets ssi they would not have to pay? Or at least as much? Makes sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:37 AM

This may be a HUGE thing as his favorite thing is firetrucks and he loves to hang at the firehoue i have a good feeling he will want to be a firefighter so if this is true then i am going to tell them for sure no way tomorrow...but then with the issues i dont even know if it is a possiblity but i dont want to be the one to crush that 

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe if you apply for ssi now for him it risks his chances of being a police officer or fire fighter when he gets older. A friend told me that I could be wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:42 AM
I would definitely check in to it and see if it's true. My friend's son has a issue that he can qualify for ssi but she is not filling for it due to this reason. Say you file for ssi and in a year or two he grows out of this. That ssi might stay on his record. I hope not. And I hope he gets better. Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous:

This may be a HUGE thing as his favorite thing is firetrucks and he loves to hang at the firehoue i have a good feeling he will want to be a firefighter so if this is true then i am going to tell them for sure no way tomorrow...but then with the issues i dont even know if it is a possiblity but i dont want to be the one to crush that 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:45 AM

I cant find anything, I will ask when they call...if they don't know i am not even going to consider it further...

Quoting Anonymous:

I would definitely check in to it and see if it's true. My friend's son has a issue that he can qualify for ssi but she is not filling for it due to this reason. Say you file for ssi and in a year or two he grows out of this. That ssi might stay on his record. I hope not. And I hope he gets better. Good luck.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

RandiBear
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:50 AM

If he won't even be able to play sports even if he outgrows the breathing thing he won't be able to do it anyway. He won't pass the physical exams or endurance training.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Tell them to STFU.. they cant deny him coverage. They just dont want to pay. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN