Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I FINALLY SAW 12 YEARS A SLAVE.

Posted by   + Show Post

I meant to post about this last night, but I got a bit busy.

The movie was great. I would have to give it a 5/5! It was great to get a small glimpse into the general life, more or less, of an AA slave.  A cop was posted a few feet from the entrance to the movie. I guess they thought people might get a little testy after ward. I was pretty pissed that he singled us out when at least 5-6 other white people crossed. He ask us what movie we were seeing and ask to see our stubs when I know he saw the woman at the rope let us by. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see a handful of white faces in the crowd. 

eye rolling

The movie started out present tense and then flashed back to his original life and how he was abducted. Then progressed though his life on the different slave plantations and his triumphs and very sad, very brutal downfalls. In the end he is reunited to his family and lives the rest of his life as an Abolitionist helping to spread the anti-slave movement and through the underground railroad. It appears he was again abducted and/or killed. 

I would suggest anyone who can stand it to go watch it. There was quite a few really gory moments that made me cringe and turn away, but most of it was fine. I saw a few older kids with their parents, but honestly I would say no children under about 8/10 should see this quite yet. 

Has anyone else seen it? What did you like or not like. 

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
KnittinMama
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a book called One More River to Cross (or something close to that). Its a good one, imo. I'll go get it and check the particulars. Hang on....
Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Most historians believe he died of natural causes and his death was handled privately by the family in an effort to finally have some privacy. He was too old in 1857 to make a useful slave.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Oh, I IK about the book. However it seems there is no record of his death. Seems so odd. I would assume anyone with a family and just a little celebrity would have their time/place/ and reason of death known. However, I got this from the movie so who knows how true it actually is. 

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

He was from the town I live in, so he is part of our local history. He was not recaptured, he wrote the book 12 Years a Slave. He was also instrumental in getting legislation passed to recover other free-born black people who were kidnapped and forced into slavery.

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I've never heard of it...

_ClearFruit_
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM
No
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:50 AM

BUMP!

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to do some research on this.

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

Most historians believe he died of natural causes and his death was handled privately by the family in an effort to finally have some privacy. He was too old in 1857 to make a useful slave.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Oh, I IK about the book. However it seems there is no record of his death. Seems so odd. I would assume anyone with a family and just a little celebrity would have their time/place/ and reason of death known. However, I got this from the movie so who knows how true it actually is. 

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

He was from the town I live in, so he is part of our local history. He was not recaptured, he wrote the book 12 Years a Slave. He was also instrumental in getting legislation passed to recover other free-born black people who were kidnapped and forced into slavery.

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

KnittinMama
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Mobile Photo

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I want to see it but don't have a babysitter so I will watch once it's out on DVD. I really want to read his book too.
elizabooks
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Nope haven't seen it. But we read the book in Jr High.

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Thank you! I'll see if my library has it.

Quoting KnittinMama:

Mobile Photo

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)