Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I FINALLY SAW 12 YEARS A SLAVE.

Posted by   + Show Post

I meant to post about this last night, but I got a bit busy.

The movie was great. I would have to give it a 5/5! It was great to get a small glimpse into the general life, more or less, of an AA slave.  A cop was posted a few feet from the entrance to the movie. I guess they thought people might get a little testy after ward. I was pretty pissed that he singled us out when at least 5-6 other white people crossed. He ask us what movie we were seeing and ask to see our stubs when I know he saw the woman at the rope let us by. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see a handful of white faces in the crowd. 

eye rolling

The movie started out present tense and then flashed back to his original life and how he was abducted. Then progressed though his life on the different slave plantations and his triumphs and very sad, very brutal downfalls. In the end he is reunited to his family and lives the rest of his life as an Abolitionist helping to spread the anti-slave movement and through the underground railroad. It appears he was again abducted and/or killed. 

I would suggest anyone who can stand it to go watch it. There was quite a few really gory moments that made me cringe and turn away, but most of it was fine. I saw a few older kids with their parents, but honestly I would say no children under about 8/10 should see this quite yet. 

Has anyone else seen it? What did you like or not like. 

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Replies (21-24):
elizabooks
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Cops/security are at the movies all of the time here. They check the stubs of anyone that looks like they might 1: be underage for a movie being shown, 2: are acting suspicious- like they are smuggling in something (another person/food/weapons) 3: are the fifth person to go in.  (yes they have to ask.)  So unless he was rude, it is just normal operating procedure thanks to that white guy who starting the shooting at the Batman film.

KnittinMama
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:19 AM
You're welcome :-)

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Thank you! I'll see if my library has it.

Quoting KnittinMama:

Mobile Photo

ButterMeUp
by Butters on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

It's standard here to have police randomly walking around the movie theater, but never once have I seen the posted at one particular movie or asking for stubs.

Quoting elizabooks:

Cops/security are at the movies all of the time here. They check the stubs of anyone that looks like they might 1: be underage for a movie being shown, 2: are acting suspicious- like they are smuggling in something (another person/food/weapons) 3: are the fifth person to go in.  (yes they have to ask.)  So unless he was rude, it is just normal operating procedure thanks to that white guy who starting the shooting at the Batman film.

*If you read my post and there are mistakes in my spelling or grammar please note that I never learned either in school and I am currently learning them now. If you see a mistake POLITELY point it out and I'll be more than happy to correct my mistake. Here's a fun little siggy for your enjoyment. *

blessedtohave7
by Bahama Mama on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:22 AM
No I haven't seen it yet...but I'm really looking forward to watching it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured