Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lice!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
2 of my girls have head lice and I probably do too. Ugh. I have a ton of hip length hair :/ what are your best methods of getting rid of them?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:56 AM

soak hair in vinegar ( put shower cap on) , let sit for 1 hr. Rinse with hotest water each can stand . You will still have to pick some of the nits out but the vinegar kills the live bugs.

Wash everything in the house, bedding, all blankets, pillows, jackets, in hot water. Wash all brushes, combs, hair ties, barrettes, in bleach or steaming hot water.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Tea tree oil shampoo is a good preventative. You may want to use it just in case since not sure if you have it or not.

bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Yeah I ended up cutting the kids' hair short because it was so hard to pick the nits out. It was a nightmare I never want to repeat. Putting oil on while combing out helps but can really messy. If you can't spray and vacuum or wash an object, seal it in a garbage bag for 2 weeks.
PoisonEyeV
by _ on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Would be a great time for hair cuts, including yourself.

SageAdvice
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM

BUZZ CUT!!

lmao joking

Olive Oil works well for killing lice and easy removal

a good way to avoid lice, is to simply use coconut shampoo, remove a little shampoo from the bottle and add some tea tree oil in, and shake it all up, use it daily when washing hair.

mollymolly
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Walgreen's sells an electric comb that zaps them.  The comb is battery operated, and it seems to work pretty well.  Other than that, when my daughter got them, I had to give her NIX treatments and put a bright light on her and pick out the nits (the eggs) from her hair.  I did a lot of Internet research on home remedies and really couldn't find anything that had real results, so I had to resort to NIX.  After that, I followed up regularly with the electric comb.  

To check for lice, thoroughly wet your hair.  They're unable to move as quickly when your hair is wet, so you can search for them.  They like to congregate around the ears and (if memory serves,) the bottom of the neck.  They move from one head of hair to the next, usually during actual physical contact.  They prefer clean hair to oily hair because they cling to the hair shaft, and clean hair is easier to cling to versus oily.  Good luck.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Omg id never go to a salon with lice!!

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Would be a great time for hair cuts, including yourself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Half strength yellow listerine sprayed on your heads and everything your heads touch. It works and it cheaper. Lice comb and stay calm and keep combing. Dd had hair to her butt and that's what we did after the mayo treatment. Tea tree shampoo too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

headliceremedy.com

Lilfootmommy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

mayonaise and a shower cap

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured