Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He refuses to go to the bathroom idk what to do

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son will be 3 on the 17th. He is still in diapers. He flat out refuses to go to the bathroom. He freaks out anytime I try to take him. He is very smart he can talkin sentences and all of that stuff he is more than capable of telling me he has to go potty but he just won't. I've been trying it slowly hoping he will eventually want to use the toilet but idk. I've tried taking him ever 30 mins but he just freaks out. I've tried bribing him with lollipops but he doesn't care. We live way out in the middle of nowhere and I've even taken him out side naked hoping he would see himself pee and understand a little more about himself but nothing works. We are currently trying for another child and I really don't want a newborn and a 4 yo in diapers :(

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM
You can't force it. Try again in a month or so
Maxi_Maxi
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I bet he will catch on by 3.5.
indymom72
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM

My last was the same way.  He was three and 2 months before he potty trained.  Drop it for a bit and then try again.  One day Owen just said "yeah, I'll go on the potty", and we went from there.  Just be patient.

VirgoMom07
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Have you tried getting him to use the potty chair in a different room of the house?
schatzi869
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM
My son was the same way. Then, about a week before his fourth birthday, he decided he was done with diapers. He was afraid of the regular toilet for a long time.
imakehimscream
by He screams on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
My 3 year old wears diapers at night and panties during the day. She still has accidents
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Both my boys wete over 3. If you push, it becomes a power struggle.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I don't really force anything usually I just ask him every so often if he wants to use the big boy potty to which he yells no. And sometimes he does decide on his own he wants to go sit on the toilet but then nothing happens and he whines after a minute to get down

Quoting TiffanyRose06:

You can't force it. Try again in a month or so

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I'm trying not to push anything. I usually just ask him if he wants to use the big boy potty to which he yells no

Quoting Anonymous:

Both my boys wete over 3. If you push, it becomes a power struggle.

crackerjack728
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Honestly think about it...how would you feel if someone made you go sit in the bathroom every 09 minutes? Youd probably start to hate the bathroom right?

Just lay off him, talk to him about what it means to use the potty, how it helps him grow and become a big boy. He will eventually just do it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN