Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 11 Replies

If your roommate was sabotaging your diet? She's more overweight than you and complains about her own weight, and she knows you're dieting, but fixes huge, unhealthy meals, cakes, and buys pies multiple time a week, then offers you some. You've told her that makes it really hard for you to stick to your diet and asked her to make smaller portions, or keep things like cookies in her room, but nothing has changed. Before you got the roommate you had lost 60 pounds, now you're gaining weight. This is happening to someone I know. What would you do? Don't say have more willpower. She doesn't have any willpower. She's addicted to food. I've gone to their house and made healthy meals for her to try and help out and the roommate will go behind me and bake a cake.

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catherine_b
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Find a new roommate
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM

well it's called "self-control" for a reason... she can make food and try to get you to eat it but she doesn't put a gun to your head to make you eat any of it

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I would learn to either say no and make the right choices or find a new room mate.

Brandyns87
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM
It's not that easy for a food addict. It takes support from everyone they're around.

Quoting Anonymous:

well it's called "self-control" for a reason... she can make food and try to get you to eat it but she doesn't put a gun to your head to make you eat any of it

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Um you are the only one that control what YOU eat, just because some cooks it doesn't mean you have to eat it. She needs to take responsibilty for her own eating habits. I am addicted to smoking I am not going to expect everyone else to stop just because it makes harder for me to not smoke.

Brandyns87
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM
I think she needs to get a new roommate too. I also think the roommate knows what she's doing. I think she's doing it out of jealousy.
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM

She needs to remove herself from the temptation and find another place to live. I would give anyone else with an additiction the same advice. You need to do what you have to to keep yourself healthy. 

Brandyns87
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Smoking and food addiction aren't the same. A better comparison would be alcoholism. When an alcoholic stops drinking no one brings alcohol around them, no one who cares about them anyway.

Quoting Anonymous:

Um you are the only one that control what YOU eat, just because some cooks it doesn't mean you have to eat it. She needs to take responsibilty for her own eating habits. I am addicted to smoking I am not going to expect everyone else to stop just because it makes harder for me to not smoke.

bcoll
by Brandi on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Unfortunately it's not anyone elses' responsibility. If she can't have control in this situation, then she needs a new situation.

Quoting Brandyns87:

It's not that easy for a food addict. It takes support from everyone they're around.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM
My dh is an alcoholic.(100 days sober!) His friends didnt stop drinking. He can either stay strong or change friends. Roommates aren't permanent. Find a new one or stay strong.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured