Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do i do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

According to my divorce papers my ex husband (i love saying that) owes me $6,400. He currently has it sitting in his savings account in the bank. He only wants to give me $5,500. He says he doesnt owe me anymore than that even though it says it right there in the divorce papers that he does. I have tried to get my lawyer to talk to his lawyer and I havent gotten a reply. He wasnt suppose to cash the check he got but he did it anyways, he was suppose to talk to his lawyer about what im suppose to get and he hasnt yet. I cant wait forever. My mom is telling me to just take the $5500 now and he will just owe me the rest after he talks to his lawyer. I'm afraid if i take the less amount of money now that he wont give me the rest later, even if he talks to his lawyer. My mom thinks he wont give me anything at all. He has the money saved, he wont touch it. He knows better than to steal from me. What should i do? take the less amount and wait for the rest of it or just try to be patient for a little bit longer and get the full amount all at once?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Take it and write a receipt with the balance owing.

Mrs-Somerhalder
by Blake on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I would wait for the lawyer

MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM
No. Don't take a dime without getting the full amount or an agreement in writing that he will pay you the balance. I personally wouldn't accept less than the full amount. Stay on top of the lawyers and him to get your money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

He wont sign it. He will just lie and say that i told him it was fine that i didnt want the remaining balance.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:14 PM

And make him sign it and make a copy.

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Ok, then don't take it.  Call your lawyer,

Quoting Anonymous:

He wont sign it. He will just lie and say that i told him it was fine that i didnt want the remaining balance.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM

My lawyers hours suck. Shes only open tuesday- thursday 12pm to 5pm. i can never talk directly to her. i always get a damn office lady. they never call me back i have to call all day long to get anywhere. i had to go down to the office last week and magically my lawyer was there and i got to talk to her. she said she would talk to my exs lawyer and get back to me. which means shes going to email his office lady and it will take forever to get an answer. im just so tired of my ex having power over me and my lawyer sucks and cant do anything about it

Quoting Mrs-Somerhalder:

I would wait for the lawyer

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I plan to tomorrow. but i doubt his lawyer has responded to her and ill just have to continue to wait. it could take months and my lawyer is leaving her practice so ill be on my own. i cant afford to take my ex to court for contempt and even then i have no guarentee that he will have to give me the money

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Ok, then don't take it.  Call your lawyer,

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)