Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Shocked and disgusted by the amount of women here who think anyone has a "right" to be in the delivery room.

s/o from another thread.  And honestly I am surprised and completely digusted that so many women here think that anyone has a right to be in the delivery room that mom doesn't want there.

We are people, not baby machines.

Delivery is a vulnerable, physically difficult and stressful time. 

Not too long ago NO ONE was allowed in the delivery room whether mom wanted them or not.

At what point did a woman giving birth stop being a person with diginity, privacy and her own rights?  

At what point did MIL's and ex spouses gain the right to see a woman with her gentitals splayed, in the most vulnerable and physically challenging moment of her life whether they were wanted there or not?

What is so wrong with someone waiting outside the delivery room in the hallway?

JE ME SOUVIENS

by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Replies (391-396):
Proud-mama-05
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM
I wasn't even asked. Of course I didn't even realize they were there till I finished pushing. They must have come in some time in the pushing process. I pushed 2.5 hours so I stopped noticing anything happening in the room after a while lol.

Quoting markswife03:

I've had three and the only time they asked if students could watch was with my first. When they asked me, two things crossed my mind- 1) I recalled my mom saying that she allowed students for her last baby and regretted it, and 2) I didn't want the delivery to last any longer than necessary because they needed to slow down to give a lesson. I declined, and I'm glad I did.

Quoting Anonymous:

Aw thanks. My daughter intends to go to med school so i no how important it is :)

Quoting GaleJ:

You can't possibly know how much you helped that student and as the mother of a student I really want to thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not only did I let a medical student into my room, I also let her have a go at breaking my waters. It was her first time doing it.

Quoting GaleJ:

While I agree that the decision about who is in the delivery room is, and should be, an individual one made by the woman delivering I feel I must respond to you about the students.

I never gave such things much thought until just recently. Our son is in Medic School and is required by law to be present for three deliveries. Tomorrow is the last day of class and their lead teacher had to extend the deadline for deliveries because the students in the class are all having trouble accomplishing this because unlike student doctors or nurses who have professional mentors in a position to help them receive permission to attend a delivery the Paramedics do not.

But they must learn and I would think that just about everyone can recognize the importance of them being qualified to handle a delivery. So if at all possible if you have the opportunity to allow a student to attend your delivery and you can accept the necessity for it and not be made uncomfortable please do it. They are professionals and at this point in their training are actually provisionally licensed to deliver a baby so they will conduct themselves both professionally and discreetly.

Quoting Closet_Case:

And that includes all those students they tried to parade into the OR last time I had a C-Section!!! I was so pissed bc they brought them in AFTER I was too doped up to care!!

Okie-chick
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Agreed! I have had say so since my oldest was born. I've kicked people out and have had the nurses make sure certain people don't come in.
This time only my husband will be aloud. Even if my mom was here visiting. Just him. It becomes overwhelming when there's too many people in the room while you're going through pain.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 48 on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I think the only other person, other than yourself obviously, who should have a right to be in the room is the childs father IF you are still together and he/she is not abusive etc.

I don't think grandparents should have, or feel they have, the right to be there.

When I had my first child her dad was with me, and my cousin had offered to stay, which I agreed with. She had to go home at one stage to charge her phone, and the silly bugger fell asleep. She came and met my daughter the next day, she felt so bad. However, it made it definitive in my mind that I didn't need anyone there. In relaity I hadn't needed my partner there either, his only role was holding my glass of water with my straw lol!

With this boy his father (my partner, but not previous partner) will definitely be there, and he is very excited to be here; but he, along with my widwife, are the only two who have the 'right' to be in the room.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 49 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:49 PM

agreed! my dh's ex had my dh's mom in the room for all 4 deliveries....she won't be in there for mine...also found out his ex had their 5 year old son in the room and allowed to "see everything" when she had the youngest...yikes! will just be my dh, myself, and dear friend acting as my doula when I have this baby!! my sil asked...will be telling her "no...love you...just not comfortable" ...like others have said ..it's not a spectator sport :) and something I want to be more intimate between my dh and I too...mil hasn't asked...hope she doesn't....she's kind of the type that might try to just show up....Lord, I hope she doesn't try that...still not gonna happen..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 50 on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM
I had my mom and dh in there, had mil been there she could have came in as well. I do believe it's absolutely up to the mom.
catcameback
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:53 PM

lol why'd you drag up my old post?

Quoting Anonymous:

agreed! my dh's ex had my dh's mom in the room for all 4 deliveries....she won't be in there for mine...also found out his ex had their 5 year old son in the room and allowed to "see everything" when she had the youngest...yikes! will just be my dh, myself, and dear friend acting as my doula when I have this baby!! my sil asked...will be telling her "no...love you...just not comfortable" ...like others have said ..it's not a spectator sport :) and something I want to be more intimate between my dh and I too...mil hasn't asked...hope she doesn't....she's kind of the type that might try to just show up....Lord, I hope she doesn't try that...still not gonna happen..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN