Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When does yours arrive? I am not sure why but I am sooo excited for Christmas this year.

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Replies (31-40):
Zazayam
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Ah, ok. My mom tried something like that when I was a kid but it freaked my brother out to no end, lol. I suppose any old elf would work just as well as buying the over priced one.

Quoting Anonymous:

An overpriced doll that your child thinks comes to life when he or she is asleep and goes and reports to Santa what happened in your house that dad. As soon as you wake up, he freezes in position until you go to sleep again. Every morning he's in a different spot.

It's charming when your child's class all talks about their elves, and insists having seen the elf walking around.

Quoting Zazayam:

I still don't know what these damn things even are :(

Momsold
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Now that's sort of neat.

But any people I've seen talking about their stupid elf says 'he reports back to Santa to tell him whether the kid has been bad or good'.

Thank you, by the way, for being an adult about answering.  I'm starting to wonder if the 'women' that responded rudely are the ones that need to have the Elf talking to Santa about their bad behaviour.

Quoting SciFiMama91:

We don't do it that way. He comes each day with a treat and a mission from the north pole. He takes messages and stories of our missions to Santa and brings DS letters back.

Quoting Momsold:

I think, if your kids are badly behaved enough that you have to buy an elf, stick it somewhere and tell the kids it reports back to Santa, Christmas is the least of your worries.

Momsold
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Wow, what a horrible lady!

That's terrible.   I'm sorry that your son experienced that.

Thank you for answering in an adult manner.  The 'ladies' that responded like a 2 year old who's been told he can't get that toy can take some lessons from you and the other responder who chose to answer like adults.

Quoting PandTsmomjuly:

We didn't get it because of bad kids, we got it because my son's Grandmother said that Christmas wasn't a real holiday and totally bummed my (then) 4 yr old son to the point where he didn't want anything to do with the holiday.

Getting the Elf brought back the excitement for my kids (even the one that no longer believes in Santa).

Frosty doesn't just move at night. She moves every chance I get to move her so the kids are constantly on the look out for her.

It's really helped my son get back into the joyful spirit of the time. My kids know they will get gifts no matter how bad or good they are. But they are also expected to GIVE gifts as well. Losing the joy made my son not want to do that but Frosty helped him get it back.

There are other reasons for having an elf besides bribing your kids to be good big smile mini

Quoting Momsold:

I think, if your kids are badly behaved enough that you have to buy an elf, stick it somewhere and tell the kids it reports back to Santa, Christmas is the least of your worries.

MommyofDestiny
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

For us he never shows up because I find him creepy. We got a cuter version called Randall the Reindeer. Basically the same story just more fun to look at.
LSeabolt1982
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

No. That is different than calling my children bad behaved becasue we have the Christmas elf that visits us at Christmas.

Quoting OneAllergicMama:

What if I am genuinely afraid of the Elf because he creeps me out?

Does that make me crabby?

LSeabolt1982
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

And further more isnt that the whole premise is that Santa is watching to see if you are naughty or nice????? So now we have one of his helpers.

CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I never even heard of this until CM last Christmas. My husband isn't sold on the idea of getting one, plus our kids aren't really old enough to get it yet.
SciFiMama91
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Yeah I liked the idea of an elf but not the way it was used so I put my spin on him. It helps me stay in the spirit and shows my son the meaning of this season. I've got some new missions already in the works.

I'm not saying my kid is an angel...unless we mean Lucifer. Haha. He's 5 so he acts like a 5yo -constantly testing, not listening, being gross- but he is a good kid usually and I have other ways of dealing with his unwelcome behavior.

I'm sorry people are being rude. I didn't take your comment as rude but genuine that there is a bigger issue if you NEED this to get them to behave.

Quoting Momsold:

Now that's sort of neat.

But any people I've seen talking about their stupid elf says 'he reports back to Santa to tell him whether the kid has been bad or good'.

Thank you, by the way, for being an adult about answering.  I'm starting to wonder if the 'women' that responded rudely are the ones that need to have the Elf talking to Santa about their bad behaviour.

Quoting SciFiMama91:

We don't do it that way. He comes each day with a treat and a mission from the north pole. He takes messages and stories of our missions to Santa and brings DS letters back.

Quoting Momsold:

SciFiMama91
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Awe I'm glad it helped. I empathize, on Christmas morning when I was 4 my grandma told me Santa wasn't real because I kept thanking him for the presents as I opened them. :/

Quoting PandTsmomjuly:

We didn't get it because of bad kids, we got it because my son's Grandmother said that Christmas wasn't a real holiday and totally bummed my (then) 4 yr old son to the point where he didn't want anything to do with the holiday.

Getting the Elf brought back the excitement for my kids (even the one that no longer believes in Santa).

Frosty doesn't just move at night. She moves every chance I get to move her so the kids are constantly on the look out for her.

It's really helped my son get back into the joyful spirit of the time. My kids know they will get gifts no matter how bad or good they are. But they are also expected to GIVE gifts as well. Losing the joy made my son not want to do that but Frosty helped him get it back.

There are other reasons for having an elf besides bribing your kids to be good big smile mini

Quoting Momsold:

PandTsmomjuly
by Florence on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I admit that your wording put me on the defensive at first. Sorry. 

In his grandmother's defense, my own mother had sent word through my son that since she was pagan/Wiccan that she must be evil.

My poor son was stuck in the Gramma Wars. :(

Both women got mad when I found out what they were doing and told them if they didn't stop NEITHER of them would get to spend time with my son. Unfortunately, my mother did not believe me. She hasn't been around him since Father's Day.

Quoting Momsold:

Wow, what a horrible lady!

That's terrible.   I'm sorry that your son experienced that.

Thank you for answering in an adult manner.  The 'ladies' that responded like a 2 year old who's been told he can't get that toy can take some lessons from you and the other responder who chose to answer like adults.

Quoting PandTsmomjuly:

Quoting Momsold:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured