Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it rude to ask guests to remove their shoes at the door?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am watching the Today show and this is a question they asked viewers. I tell my guests to remove shoes because I have small kids that make the floor their home. I don't want dirty shoes all over my house. I don't think it's rude at all and I think the guest should have to respect the household they're visiting. What do you think? Rude or not?

juggling

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Replies (151-156):
SweetCL
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM

No, it's not rude.

Your home, your rules.

TSNDDY
by Emerald Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Not rude at all, it's unheard of to wear shoes in the house here though.
Babujai
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I think it depends on who your guests are and why their visiting.  I wouldn't think it's rude to ask friends and family who come over regularly, but I wouldn't ask a complete stranger or a friend of friend.  Some people have issues with feet and I think it's a little rude to assume everyone has feet or socks that are presentable all the time.

Kazoo22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I don't think it's rude. I know more and more people who have started doing this. My mother has always done this for as far back as I can remember. I did it as well when I moved out on my own. I have a rack to put the shoes on and slippers at the door for the occassional people that are aquaintances, because people that are familar with us don't feel uncomfortable about walking around in socks or bare feet. 

soon2bmomof2grs
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Not rude. I usually go with the flow ;) If I see you have no shoes on and a place for them to go... My shoes go there and so do my kids'. If I see you walking around in your shoes, my shoes stay on. In my own home my shoes come off. MIL's home shoes stay on. At my grandmothers house your shoes go off and most the time everyone is taking their socks, coats and over shirts off too (Because it's grandma's and that's what you do). We use to get dressed up at Christmas to go to my grandmothers, get out of the car walk in, take our shoes off, take our panty hoes off, take our coats off, take a few pictures and go change clothes. Her house is just a comfy one I guess.

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I don't see it as rude. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN