Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I met a great guy, but.... ^UPDATED^

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

He has autism. I am honestly torn on what to do. I REALLY like him, but I don't know if we can be in a normal relationship. He's never been with anyone, and I got divorced two years ago. I have a son with an intelluctual disability (MR), and I don't know if I need more.....??stress????? in my life. 

He is such a sweetheart. To me, at least. Other people think he is rude and annoying, but I understand his quirks, and I like them in a way. We can have full conversations, he is at the higer spectrum, and he's getting to the point where he knows to ask me how my day was and to listen to me babble for a few moments. I don't know if I should risk our friendship to become more with him. 

Any adults with autism? Anyone marry a man/woman with autism? I really need input on this situation.

Thank you so very much! 

And he is really good with my son. We've gone to the park together and the movies together. My son knows he is just my friend, and my son likes playing superheros with him and just hanging with him. 

So, I said yes. I've known him for over a year and I really do care about him. He was so excited he even hugged me. This was a big thing for him. I know I made the right choice! Thank you for your answers, and I will update sometime. Our first date is on Sunday. Going to Red Lobster. Yum :P

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM

bump because i'm curious about the responses. i've got no experience with this (or anything autism related).

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Bump, I have next to no experience with autism in general.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM
.....m
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Decemberlov
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I can also say that I have no experience with this either. But I think that it shouldn't matter. Autism or not everyone has things that make them different. Not being diagnosed with autism will not guarantee a stress free, perfect relationship.

I say follow your heart. It would be truely said to miss out on what could have been the most wonderful relationship of your life, because of fear.

I think the bigger issue would be, do you risk the friendship, not should you date a guy with autism.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:39 PM

What does HE want?  

MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:43 PM
This. It comes down to: can you live with your quirks or not? Can he live with yours? How old is he? If hes 21 that is one thing...if hes 45 and never dated that might tell you something else.

Quoting Decemberlov:

I can also say that I have no experience with this either. But I think that it shouldn't matter. Autism or not everyone has things that make them different. Not being diagnosed with autism will not guarantee a stress free, perfect relationship.

I say follow your heart. It would be truely said to miss out on what could have been the most wonderful relationship of your life, because of fear.

I think the bigger issue would be, do you risk the friendship, not should you date a guy with autism.

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM

no clue ... if you think you can live with him long term you know best.  The few experiences I've had with autism have been with children who were way problematic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM
I'm biased on this because I have a son with autism, but here's a bump.
skittleshawk
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM

how old are you both?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)