Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I pay bills or buy Xmas gifts?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 101 Replies
We rent a house from DHs parents. I paid rent on Friday. Yesterday his mom came over, gave me the money back and said, ' I want you to use this to buy Christmas presents for the kids.' I'm a week or two behind on my cable and electric bill and would RATHER get caught up on those things. But she was pretty specific about what she wanted the money used for. What do I do?

Edit...
My bills are not overdue and nothing's getting cut off. I like to pay my bills the minute theyre due. I was planning to pay them at the end of next week and even then it was before the late penalty takes effect. But it's highly amusing to read so many responses from women who think my children and I live in Dickonsonian poverty.

If any one can tell me how to take my anon off, I would be more than happy to.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadyBugMom09
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Tough one. I get paying the bills is the responsible thing to do and if you tell her you need the money top pay bills she may feel you're asking her for more money. But, on the other hand, she gave you the money for the specific reason to buy your kids gifts.

Can you do both?? Buy them gifts and pay a little towards your bills?
zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM
5 moms liked this

Cable isn't a necessity, so I would focus on paying the electric and get gifts within your budget. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Presents! Who needs electricity anyway... Just make sure you also buy a candle or two so they can see those presents Christmas morning. 
eye rolling 

sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Get rid of the cable, pay the electric. Bills AKA NEEDS come before WANTS AKA Christmas presents. 

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM
You and your husband need to tell his mother that you have bills that you'd prefer the money to pay for and see if she minds, just to at least try to avoid some of the trouble.

Is the money not enough to cover bills and a few gifts, too? What was your plan for Christmas gifts before you realized the rent was going to be returned to you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Really? Bills, of course. Being a responsible adult sucks,but you gotta do it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetnsassymami
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:15 AM
3 moms liked this

lol we have gifts but the food in the fridge is spoiled and we can't see shit and we can see our breath in the living room....but we have gifts!!!

how is this even a question...

Supervane
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Use half for bills and the other half for gifts. Idk
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Eat the gift.wrap kids!

Quoting sweetnsassymami:

lol we have gifts but the food in the fridge is spoiled and we can't see shit and we can see our breath in the living room....but we have gifts!!!

how is this even a question...

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Are you seriously asking this question?

You pay bills first.  Then you use the incoming money that you were going to use to pay bills to buy a few gifts. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN