Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Aspergers is no longer a diagnosis

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So stop using the word. It's just autism.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Replies (91-95):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM

well there's no such thing as manic depression either but people still say it. Multiple personality doesn't exist either. Most people say it anyway. My son has autism. Lighten up

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM
My son relates to him so much lol. It's cute.

Quoting Anonymous:

I just said today that Sheldon clearly has Asperger's.

I believe it's going to revert back to a separate diagnosis. I have Asperger's but there's a huge difference between myself and the severely autistic kids I used to work with.

There's many huge differences, and for something to be on a spectrum, you would think that the intensity is the only thing different.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well my son has aspergers. He's like Sheldon off big bang. It's still listed in his diagnosis in his iep and he's still getting help for his aspergers.

boys2men2soon
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Your ignorance is strong.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

No thanks.    My son has Aspergers.   It has taken years for many people to have any type of understanding of the syndrome.   When my son was in school, many teachers had never heard of it.    Now that there is a decent understanding ..... the term is deleted.      Explaining that he has 'High functioning Autism' doesn't explain anything.     The term Aspergers describes his personality and his way of thinking.

Is it really?  How so?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I was thinking about your reply. To be on cafémom you have to have children or ttc or be a sp. Do you have children? How can you read there emotions if you do not understand emotions. How do you now what is wrong with them. I am just curious.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not slow or limited in my intellectual understanding.

I have the proper emotional development for my age, in fact, it is sort of a trademark for kids with Asperger's syndrome to be wise beyond their years and called 'little professors' for their intelligence.

I was at the top of my class all throughout school, so no, I am not behind in my academic progress.

So no, not at all.

My difficulty with social norms and understanding does not affect my intelligence, nor does it make me retarded. It just means I can't tell the difference between a tired person and a person who is angry or upset with me. They look the same to me.

It's sort of like color blindness, how certain colors are just grey and it is hard to distinguish between red and green, for instance. But instead of being a problem with my eyes, it is a problem with my brain. Emotions just look similar to me.

Furthermore, there are criteria that ALL need to be present in order to diagnose mental retardation.

Quoting Anonymous: 
re·tar·da·tion
/ˌritɑrˈdeɪʃən/ Show Spelled [ree-tahr-dey-shuhn] Show IPA

noun
the act of retarding or state of being retarded.
something that retards; hindrance.
slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development, academic progress, etc.
Music. a form of suspension that is resolved upward......                                                                  
Quoting Anonymous:Could you at least spell 'retardation' correctly? And intellectual disabilities are one of the trademarks of Down syndrome. Some are profoundly retarded, while some are only mildly retarded. Some individuals with the disorder can be savants though, which means that while they are retarded or delayed in some way, they are exceptional at something. But I don't know what your point is because autism is not a form of retardation.
Quoting Anonymous:
 Some people who have down syndrom are very smart and it is still considerd a form of retardacion..

Quoting Anonymous:No. I am autistic and have an IQ of 140. You can be autistic and very smart or you can be autistic and mentally retarded. It is not retardation but a disorder that makes my brain work differently. I don't understand emotions very well and I don't know how to talk and relate to people. But definitely far from retarded.
Quoting Anonymous:

It is a type of retardacion.
Quoting Anonymous:
Using the R word in an autism post? How tasteless.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Nov. 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM
I have one. He is three. If he is crying its obvious its upset and I ask him what's wrong, he tells me and we fix it. I noticed even 'normal' people need to ask their toddlers why they are upset. It's not a huge deal. I know when he is not 'himself' but I won't know what he is feeling unless I ask.

I do have some understanding of emotions but it can be tricky. It's not that I am completely unable at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was thinking about your reply. To be on cafémom you have to have children or ttc or be a sp. Do you have children? How can you read there emotions if you do not understand emotions. How do you now what is wrong with them. I am just curious.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not slow or limited in my intellectual understanding.

I have the proper emotional development for my age, in fact, it is sort of a trademark for kids with Asperger's syndrome to be wise beyond their years and called 'little professors' for their intelligence.

I was at the top of my class all throughout school, so no, I am not behind in my academic progress.

So no, not at all.

My difficulty with social norms and understanding does not affect my intelligence, nor does it make me retarded. It just means I can't tell the difference between a tired person and a person who is angry or upset with me. They look the same to me.

It's sort of like color blindness, how certain colors are just grey and it is hard to distinguish between red and green, for instance. But instead of being a problem with my eyes, it is a problem with my brain. Emotions just look similar to me.

Furthermore, there are criteria that ALL need to be present in order to diagnose mental retardation.

Quoting Anonymous: 
re·tar·da·tion
/ˌritɑrˈdeɪʃən/ Show Spelled [ree-tahr-dey-shuhn] Show IPA

noun
the act of retarding or state of being retarded.
something that retards; hindrance.
slowness or limitation in intellectual understanding and awareness, emotional development, academic progress, etc.
Music. a form of suspension that is resolved upward......                                                                  
Quoting Anonymous:Could you at least spell 'retardation' correctly? And intellectual disabilities are one of the trademarks of Down syndrome. Some are profoundly retarded, while some are only mildly retarded. Some individuals with the disorder can be savants though, which means that while they are retarded or delayed in some way, they are exceptional at something. But I don't know what your point is because autism is not a form of retardation.
Quoting Anonymous:
 Some people who have down syndrom are very smart and it is still considerd a form of retardacion..

Quoting Anonymous:No. I am autistic and have an IQ of 140. You can be autistic and very smart or you can be autistic and mentally retarded. It is not retardation but a disorder that makes my brain work differently. I don't understand emotions very well and I don't know how to talk and relate to people. But definitely far from retarded.
Quoting Anonymous:

It is a type of retardacion.
Quoting Anonymous:
Using the R word in an autism post? How tasteless.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)