Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Doctors office bullied us into getting the flu shot. *EDIT*

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM
  • 369 Replies

I do not like flu shots, I do not get them. I always have adverse affects. DH and DSS's get them, I do not. We all have the same doctor, as he is our family doc.

Last month, DSS18 went to the doc for a sports physical. They asked if he wanted the flu shot, he declined twice while I was in with him. They asked me if I wanted him to have it, I told them he was 18 and it was his decision. Shortly after they asked me to step out so they could examine his privates. No big deal, it's normal.

DSS came out about 15 minutes later. DSS had a band aid on his arm, but I didn't really think about it. On the way home he told me the nurse came in after I left, with the shot in hand. He told her again he didn't want it, but she told him it was fine and did it anyways. I was floored. How can they just give you a shot without your consent?

Yesterday, I went in for my 6 week blood work, to make sure my meds were responding well. The nurse asked me if I wanted a flu shot. I said no, and told her why I don't get them. She asked me again before she left, I again declined. My doc comes in, and asks, I declined and explained why. He said ok, and didn't mention it again. 

I'm getting ready to leave and the nurse walks back in with the flu shot and tells me to sit still. I was confused, but just sat there like a moron and let her do it. I was so upset afterwards that I ran off practically in tears. 

Today I am sick as a dog, like I always am after a flu shot. I called the doctors office to complain about the nurse, and all I got was another nurse telling me that the flu shot was a good idea and I shouldn't be mad.

I feel very bullied right now, and no one at my doctors office seems to care. I have an HMO and can't change doctors. I am so frustrated and angry right now!

EDIT

For the people wondering why or chastising me for sitting there and taking it. I have Allodoxaphobia, a phobia of confrontation. It's serious. I get all worked up and nervous when I think I might have to get confrontational. In fact, I sometimes feeze, which is what happened. 

I mean I won't even take back food in a restaurant if my order is wrong. I know most of you are strong-willed, I'm not. I want to be, but I have no idea how to get over my fear.

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Wow! I would be so mad!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:29 PM
3 moms liked this
Why the hell did you let them stick you with a needle?
Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Is there anything I can do? Anyone I can call? Is this even legal? I have no idea what to do. I just feel like such a victim.

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

Wow! I would be so mad!

kristen0812
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Since when don't you have to sign for shots?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM
4 moms liked this

That's assault on your SS if she gave him the shot anyways. I would be complaining and heads would be rolling! I'm sorry you and your SS went through this.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM
6 moms liked this

I would file a complaint with the medical board.  

ncbirdie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Yeah, that is NOT ok.  Do you know who the nurse was who did it?  I would be reporting her.  Obviously the doctor's office doesn't care that this woman is jabbing people with needles without their consent, so go above their heads.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Wtf? That's not even legal! I would be making. a Report higher up!
Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM

IDK, I was kind of in shock, and I hate confrontation. I feel so stupid.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why the hell did you let them stick you with a needle?

michaelsmom25
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Wow.......
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN