Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Second hand Christmas

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:30 AM
  • 17 Replies

Do any of you buy Christmas gifts from thrift stores, ebay, etc. for your family & friends? I've had great success buying nice toys from both & cleaning them up really good & mixing them in with a few new things. My kids don't know the difference & enjoy them sometimes more than the one thing they really wanted.Have you had any success with this? I have 3 children & am always looking for a way to do more with what I have to spend!

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Teeter-Totter-
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Yep!

We got our littles presents from eBay this year. :)
abecee
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I've rarely seen a toy in a thrift shop/second hand store that was in decent enough shape to pass for new.  I shop often in thrift store but not for toys.  I'm happy for you though that you've found a way to stretch your dollars.  good job!

Okie-chick
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM
I love going on the buy sale trade pages on FB here. I bought my daughter a toy box for her down stairs play area. Brand new. Only thing wrong was the hinge which my husband fixed. I buy more furniture things than toys I guess. Something I can fix up myself
Jo0630
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM
I have found some nice toys at thrift stores, some are even in the sealed box still!
ginnie_21
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:35 AM
Good idea!

Quoting EmeraldBirdie:

Do any of you buy Christmas gifts from thrift stores, ebay, etc. for your family & friends? I've had great success buying nice toys from both & cleaning them up really good & mixing them in with a few new things. My kids don't know the difference & enjoy them sometimes more than the one thing they really wanted.Have you had any success with this? I have 3 children & am always looking for a way to do more with what I have to spend!

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:35 AM

My boys are getting used Kindle Fire's for Christmas. 

matofour
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Yep:) my girls love love american girl dolls.
I spend much more money on Craigslist and eBay for stuff for them, than tbe real America girl store.
Stuffs almost brand new! And they don't care if it's been preloved.
highlandmum
by Spunky on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I have never done it, but DD this year is getting a 64G IPod that I got from the apple store, it is refurbished (so it is used), it is the colour she wants, comes with the full warranty as if it was new and it was $100 less then a brand new one. This is the only reason she is getting the 64G model.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:37 AM
I buy some big ticket items... and bieber stuff....but dont buy from thrift stores mostly buy video games from ebay or facebook buy and sell. no used anything for family. just hubs and dd
ambrossious2000
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:39 AM

yes, with my kids, we were able to spoil them more that way. It was our first time doing it last year. Im not sure if we are doing it this year or not. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)