Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it really all trailers down there? TX

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 39 Replies

I've been looking for homes in TX so I can move my family down there. We'd like to be in the burbs of Dallas or maybe near Paris. We want acreage and a decent sized home. But it seems down there that is on anything bigger than an acre is well, a trailer. I guess I'm not used to that since around here there's an ordiance against trailers. (IL) But damn, trailers everywhere! I want a HOUSE. Like with a basement and an actual foundation. I don't wanna build a house but damn, might have to down where I want to live but I dont want to have to pay off an effin mortgage. I don't want to contact a realtor because we're not even close to being ready to move down there yet. We can't move for another year since we have been in our house for less than 2 yrs and dont wanna pay capital gains. Sooooooo itll be another year and a half before we can move. I hope I can find something thats NOT a trailer.

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM
You probably won't find a basement. Due to the soil we can't really do that here. They have great new foundations but I think it's only been used within the last 5 years or so. I have settling cracks. Every house I've looked at does.
No they're not all trailers either. Lol. Land isn't super cheap here though cost of living is lower than most. I don't live on a decent size property right now but about 20min west of me is million dollar homes on big land. In other directions there's are nice big brick homes on 1 acre in the $200k range.
What area are you looking at?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Yeah Texas houses don't usually have basements, but that does not make them trailers.  And the ones I have seen have foundations.  But the land there is  a bit different (thus, the lack of  basemenet.)  Acreage is not hard to come by, but you also have to know where to look.

Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM

We don't have basements here. I've only seen one in my entire life. Land is crazy expensive, especially where you are thinking of looking. The suburbs of Dallas really isn't the place ot find acreage.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

You will not get a basement here. Unless you want to pay an insane amount, because the ground is pretty well solid rock ten inches down.  And Paris is sort of a poor area, so there would be a lot of trailers. That said, many people with Acrage will put a trailer on it while they save up to build a house. That is what are friends in Bonham did. 

Heymamashakeit
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Around Dallas, or Paris. But I prefer Dallas.

Quoting cntrdmom:

You probably won't find a basement. Due to the soil we can't really do that here. They have great new foundations but I think it's only been used within the last 5 years or so. I have settling cracks. Every house I've looked at does.
No they're not all trailers either. Lol. Land isn't super cheap here though cost of living is lower than most. I don't live on a decent size property right now but about 20min west of me is million dollar homes on big land. In other directions there's are nice big brick homes on 1 acre in the $200k range.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Like the other ladies said there are no basements. My friend has something close to a basement. The front of their home is one level from the front but when you walk to the back you can see it's actually two levels. So we like to joke and say half of the house has a basement. Lol.
Superlaura328
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM

LOL That is absolutely not the case :) I used to live in Dallas, and I live in Plano now. I've actually only seen one trailer community. There are PLENTY of big houses with a lot of land here! No basements, though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Texas is huge! How could you possibly think we have all this lands and nothing but trailers on it. Open your mind and dig a little deeper :-) You probably need to start looking in different parts of the state. How many acres are you looking for? Will you guys be working in Dallas?
cntrdmom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I'm in Fort Worth. You'll need to get a little farther out of town to find land. Look around Dallas instead of in it. Or a little west. If you can put yourself between Dallas and Fort Worth you're in a good place.
What's your budget?

Quoting Heymamashakeit:

Around Dallas, or Paris. But I prefer Dallas.

Quoting cntrdmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Try Grapevine, Denton, Desoto...there are smaller towns outside of the city. Paris is a bit of a drive if you guys will be working there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured