Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So we are horrible people for not sending money to DH's family

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 110 Replies

My DH is Filipino and he has some family whose homes were either destroyed or needs serious repair. His mom and aunt are collecting money to send. I just bought all of the Christmas gifts because this month has 3 paychecks instead of just 2. I also paid all of the first half of the month bills. Then I found out we had a medical bill from over a year ago that will go into collections if not paid, it was $500. DH's car needed all new tires (they were bald) so we got those. Until DH's next paycheck, we don't have a lot of money and what we have is going to gas and groceries. Yes, we do have savings but we don't touch that unless we have an emergency.

I mean we will have some extra money when DH gets paid again but they sent the money yesterday. MIL said that we are selfish greedy brats for not sending anything. I am so upset, this is the worst we have ever been financially and I know we will be ok after the next check and we will be able to get back on track but for now, we are broke. We may not be able to help but at least we are not expecting/needing help. We have never needed any kind of financial help and we have helped people when we can, I am just a little pissed that she is treating us like this because this time, and yes I know the help is badly needed, we can't help.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Tell her to fuck off?
suzanneyea
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Cannot give what you do not have.

DusterMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM
5 moms liked this
Whatever. You have to take care of your own bills and household before you can go helping others.

Ignore her.
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM

She should not be treating you that way. Honestly though, I would have taken 50.00 to 100.00 out of savings and sent it his family. Maybe you can send a general donation after you get back on track or send a small amount out of his next paycheck.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM
10 moms liked this
Sorry :(
Personally this is something I would send a little of the savings for.
I know the pressures of a spouse with a family overseas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:35 PM
14 moms liked this

Put yourself in your relatives position. THEIR WHOLE LIVES WERE DESTROYED! Their homes, their belongings, EVERYTHING.

I don't see how you can't justify even sending $20 or $50 to help out. The littlest helps, and shows you do care! 

If the situation was reversed, and you were the one who lost everything, wouldn't you expect your family to do what they can to help? Even if it was sending a few dollars? Seriously! Quit being greedy. Breaking into your savings and sending a small amount won't hurt you!

msjaxon
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:36 PM
3 moms liked this
I'd send $100 bux of savings but you aren't a bad person for not doing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:37 PM
did you tell them you had no money to send?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN