Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pumping instead of breastfeeding... good idea?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 127 Replies
1 mom liked this

There are a number of reasons why I don't want to breastfeed my baby. Mainly because I work. I want to be able to allow daddy (and brother and sister and so on) to feed baby too. I just found this, and i was wondering if any of you have done this before?

I want to do what's best for my baby. I tried pumping years ago, and had a hard time. Could have been because I didn't try at all until 3 or 4 days after I had the baby (he was born 3 months early, and I was sick in the hospital). 

Anyway, I want to try it again. And I am open to all suggestions on saving milk!

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM

BUMP

ProudMommaBear
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Not sure. I never stored my milk
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM

My daughter was exclusively fed from the breast but I did pump occasionally and freeze breastmilk in ice trays for the use in her homemade baby food and mesh feeder.It worked for that so I don't see why it wouldn't work for making bottles :)

daughteroftruth
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM
5 moms liked this

Yeah, I've tried that, but I think that the easiest waywith less storage was to freeze in breast milk bags.  Freeze them on their sides and then they take up less room to store and you can thaw and heat up the milk under tap water in less then a min. 

honestly, you can breastfeed and pump.  Its going ot be very difficult ot exclusively pump.  Your best bet is to breastfeed and pump for at least the first few months.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Just know this
Sometimes the pump doesn't stimulate let down and production (that was my case) & caused more problems than anything.
My dd wouldn't latch so as last resort I pumped. By three weeks I had to start adding formula feedings because I couldn't make enough
wonderstruck11
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM

My DD wouldn't latch, so I exclusvely pumped. I was always pumping, but I dried up within a month. I was really upset that I wasn't able to do it longer.

maddiesmommy5
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Pumping is great if you have to go back to work, but you have to be aware that a pump does not work the same way baby does. Many women can only get between .5 to 2 oz from a pump and then think they have a low supply..which is not the case. It simply does not do as good of a job as a baby does. I hope you are planning to nurse while you are home and with baby, that way you can keep your supply up and it really is a great way to bond. Also if you are going to pump you really should do it every 2 hrs and only ever give baby 3 oz bottle of expressed milk. Nurse when you get back from work. 

BrittSam2011
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM

My first son never wanted to latch so I pumped for 9 months. But I just used breastmilk bags and put them in the freezer. I've never heard of making them into ice cubes. And I'd never have enough room in the freezer, there wasn't enough room with the 50+ bags I pumped for my youngest. And that was along with breastfeeding. Lol 

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I did both, I worked as well, went back when she was four months old.  It's better to do both than to just exclusively pump, you dry out faster with just the pump and pumping is a PAIN IN THE ASS.  I did use the ice cube trays for storage, they worked fine, we had a big freezer.  I am expecting again and will do the same.  

Hot_Badonkadonk
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I had an amazing milk supply. I pumped and breastfed with milk left over. I never did do the ice cubes. We just put them in freezer bags and marked them. Grabbed as needed! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)