Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please tell me the name of whatever it is your smoking.....cuz it must be the good stuff

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies
We are looking for a new place. cost of living in our area is generally low. you can find a 3 bedroom house for about 650 in our area. you know, a "normal" one...built in the 40s or 50s, so anyway my SO and I come across an add for a luxery "condo" for 750 a month, 2bed 2bath. has a swimming pool and a park and a "clubhouse" we decide to contact the rental company because even though we would rather have a house, the idea of not doing yard work, and having a pool that we dont have to maintain is nice too. so we arrange a showing, and i am like wtf.......now im no real estate expert but this looked exactly like a 2 bedroom apartment...though i admit im not sure exactly what the difference between a condo and an apartment is....it was SMALL. the only thing WOW factors were the small brick fireplace and the HUGE whirlpool tub in the larger bathroom. then the agents starts going over the "rules" I dont remeber them all but a few were, no grilling....at all period, nothing is allowed on your porch. not even a plastic chair to sit in, flower pots etc. no holes in the walls, you cant hang blinds, only curtains (the rods were already in place) and get this....if anything messes up (fridge, stove, air conditioner etc) we are responsible for all repairs up to and including replacement regardless of it we are at fault for the problem or if it is due to normal "wear and tear".......i would really like to know what these people are smoking......and who would actually agree to this non sense. I mean the rent is already "high" for our general area......and then you add all this crazy stuff in....its a wonder people do rent these properties.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mommie2madison
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:15 PM

A condo is essentially a home contained in a multi-family structure that is owned individually though, rather than rented out by a property management type of ownership.  So in many cases, it's an apartment in style, but owned independently from the other units it is connected to.

While the terms discussed are outside the "norm", being a private transaction, the owner can typically specify whatever terms they want.  No grilling is common in apartment-style dwellings.  Not having anything on a patio/balcony is a bit questionable though.  Landlords can hold the tenant responsible for various fixtures/appliances/costs/maintenance - they just need to specify it in the terms of the contract (albeit that isn't that common as most tenants RENT because they want to avoid such costs).

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
we knew it was owned privately. the owner lives in another state and uses a real estate company to handle everything for them. thank you for the explanation as well, because I really was not sure of the difference. The terms were just so out the norm from what I have personally experienced. I have rented apartments before (when i was single) and was never told i cant grill (though a few asked the grills be 15 feet or more from the building etc) and as far as repairs have heard of the tenant being responsible if the issue wa their fault but never if it wasnt. I was just surprised I guess expected something a bit "better" as far the size of the place and the general "look" of it. (carpet i obviously old etc) especially for the price.

Quoting mommie2madison:

A condo is essentially a home contained in a multi-family structure that is owned individually though, rather than rented out by a property management type of ownership.  So in many cases, it's an apartment in style, but owned independently from the other units it is connected to.

While the terms discussed are outside the "norm", being a private transaction, the owner can typically specify whatever terms they want.  No grilling is common in apartment-style dwellings.  Not having anything on a patio/balcony is a bit questionable though.  Landlords can hold the tenant responsible for various fixtures/appliances/costs/maintenance - they just need to specify it in the terms of the contract (albeit that isn't that common as most tenants RENT because they want to avoid such costs).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured