Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Each and Every One Of You Is Wrong!

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM
  • 114 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you think it is possible to have a reasonable and respectful discussion about how much is too much to spend on Christmas gifts per child and how much is too little?

I don't see how that can possibly happen. Even if you created some algorithm that factored in the family's finances and the children's ages I don't think you will ever find any widespread common ground on the issue. More importantly I don't think that people can answer honestly without offending someone. 

Apart from saying I don't know and I don't care I think that the question is going to be a sticky one.

so....

How much is too much to spend per child on Christmas?

How much is too little to spend per child on Christmas?

Neither infinity nor zero are acceptable responses.

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheDrsRose
by Bad♄Wolf on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM
8 moms liked this

Spend what you want..

Spend what you can..

Spend nothing for all I care and teach your child about family,not material bullshit..

Either way,I don't really care.lol

My MIL thinks it's stupid that I'm not getting my baby,who will be less then 2 weeks old,anything and thinks I'm being selfish.

Yeah,okay.

sarah824
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I think too much or too little are very subjective terms and vary vastly from one family to the next.

To me there is no "too little".... As long as your child gets to open at least one gift on Christmas morning then all is good in my eyes.

As for "too much".... I think people that spend more than a couple of hundred per kids are wasting their money, but again, just my personal feeling.

zeenah
by Zarah on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it depends for family. If you're going into debt or (already are) to get gifts then that's too much. I think to little is also subjective to how much the family has to spare. 

A day without laughter is a day wasted. --Charlie Chaplin

FelineTopic
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Spend as much as you want. Max out as many credit cards as you want. Spoil them rotten on santa's day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Suzy_Sunshine
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM

And what they consider spare... I know someone who is obsessed with designer shoes and bags. She spends a fortune on cosmeceuticals and procedures but her children look like raggamuffins and get very little for birthdays and holidays.

I would never mention it to her but I do think that she spends too little on them. 

Quoting zeenah:

I think it depends for family. If you're going into debt or (already are) to get gifts then that's too much. I think to little is also subjective to how much the family has to spare. 

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this

You've spent too much if you have to forgo food or take out a second mortgage.  If a child gets nothing, you spent too little.  Otherwise, it's an individual thing.  Some people give a few smaller gifts, others give large amounts of expensive stuff.  To each their own.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Well it depends on the family and ages. I couldn't see spending over $600 per kid but i also think $100 is to little. Especially with the price of stuff
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM

lol, thts stupid, my son was only a few wks old his 1st christmas too and my ex and I didnt get him anything either, you already have everything for baby, so its not like they need anything, will care at all or remember .. I dont understand ppl who make such a big deal out of it. And I'd tell her fine but she can buy diapers for her gift too :)

Quoting TheDrsRose:

Spend what you want..

Spend what you can..

Spend nothing for all I care and teach your child about family,not material bullshit..

Either way,I don't really care.lol

My MIL thinks it's stupid that I'm not getting my baby,who will be less then 2 weeks old,anything and thinks I'm being selfish.

Yeah,okay.

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Over $1000 is probably too much unless it is a trip or sporting event.

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Whatever you want. We don't set limit on gift cost. I do set a limit on how many gifts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)